[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @Waiting,

Thanks for that! I am afraid of boring everybody with my opinions at times, having been such a long time member of the forum I don’t want to repeat myself.

I think the performance you referred to of “You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You” is the one which I first realized how great that song was for the Supremes, and with what amazing verve they performed it. I remember the shot you described of when they show the audience cheering them on. It’s a very exciting clip.

My grandparents were the type of people who would go to New York and go to a jazz club, or places like the COPA, and come home and bring a few souvenirs, such as an ash tray or a cocktail stirrer or a program from a Broadway show which they’d saved for me. I always thought my grandmother was the most elegant lady because she had a little fox fur stole which came with the head and tail intact, and I remember the way it attached was snapping the head to the tail! I thought it was the height of class when I was 10 years old!

When I started listening to Motown, I never liked the standards or the Broadway albums, now they are the ones I play the most often. The six Supremes concept albums are among my very favorites. The only one I don’t like as much as the others is the Disney album, which I have on a bootleg. But it has some good tunes and some good singing. One that I never liked at all in the past which I’ve come to enjoy a lot is the Liverpool album.

When you think about the body of work that was recorded, it really is incredible the chances and risk Berry Gordy took with his favorite group.
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-29-2022 at 08:51 AM.