To me Barrett Strong is a bit of an enigma, in that I've never been able to find any detail on just how he came to Motown, in what capacity he was employed and when he joined.

It seems his singing on "Money [[That's What I Want)" was almost incidental - he just happened to be around the studio at the time Berry Gordy, Janie Bradford and the band were putting the song together and during that "session" he took over from B.G. on piano and vocals. Perhaps if he had not been there that day, the song would have been given to someone else to record and release.

Re his age, DFTMC doesn't give any details on just when Money was recorded, but it was released on Tamla in August 1959 and Barrett's birth date is always given as being Feb, 5 1941, which would therefore mean he was 18 when the song was recorded and not 17 as he suggested in the video.

As far as I'm aware there have never been any tracks on him released from the vaults other than what is available on the two CD's mentioned by snakepit and mysterysinger. Does that therefore mean that his complete Motown output has been released and there are no other completed recordings? That seems strange to me bearing in mind his initial success and the company clearly having plans to release an album on him, so surely he must have recorded more material that was never used and is therefore potentially still available for release.