[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Now i'm really confused monsieur RanRan. If as you say you are not really a fan of Diana's overly pop work, how is it that by your own admission you favour such pop confections as "Crying My Heart Out For You etc etc???.... Songs that are as MOR as is possible.
    Allowing for the fact that we all have our own personal definitions as to what constitutes a more soulful sound, would i perhaps be correct in thinking that you would consider the Carpenters or possibly even Doris Day as less then overly pop..
    I'll refer you to this part of my post that you replied to: "...although there are a few exceptions." "Cryin" would fall into the category of "a few exceptions". As for the Carpenters and Doris Day...I'm not familiar with Doris' work other than some of her movies which I used to like to watch when I was a kid [[actually the only one I remember is something about a cat), so I can't comment on her music. However, I think the Carpenters made good music. I am a fan of pop music and I love overly pop work by pop artists. I have never considered Diana to be a pop artist, even though she sometimes records pop songs, and thus I'm more of a fan of her r&b stuff than her pop stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'll refer you to this part of my post that you replied to: "...although there are a few exceptions." "Cryin" would fall into the category of "a few exceptions". As for the Carpenters and Doris Day...I'm not familiar with Doris' work other than some of her movies which I used to like to watch when I was a kid [[actually the only one I remember is something about a cat), so I can't comment on her music. However, I think the Carpenters made good music. I am a fan of pop music and I love overly pop work by pop artists. I have never considered Diana to be a pop artist, even though she sometimes records pop songs, and thus I'm more of a fan of her r&b stuff than her pop stuff.
    I know exactly whay you mean RanRan. There are those who would still consider Diana a pure pop artist. I myself have never viewed her in that light, Nothing But A Maybe" and "Love Hangover being just two examples of why.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I have never considered Diana to be a pop artist, even though she sometimes records pop songs, and thus I'm more of a fan of her r&b stuff than her pop stuff.
    She is considered a Pop Diva by many, as is Dionne Warwick. And some [[black, white or otherwise) label her an R&B artist. I don't think she is a "Soul singer", as she is sometimes [[conveniently) labeled. But that's the problem with labels. We fans just love her music. I love that I can listen to Diana Ross sing all kinds of pop music genres.