[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    completely agree Ran

Ladder established a totally new sound for the group and not just simply introducing a new lead singer

the ethereal effects on the vocals, the little call-outs for Mary and Cindy, a more mature lyrical content, the swirling strings and that strong Motown beat. Plus the heavier guitar elements. Frank was perfect with this production!

and given it's resounding success, it's surprising that the tried and true Motown rule of following up with a similar song didn't prevail. IMO the closest thing on RO to Ladder is Loving Country.

Everybody is sort of a bumbling, shuffling production. the backing track basically lacks any of the elegance of Ladder. on the released version, Jean's vocals seem rather hemmed in. that alt version on GH&RC is better. And on Ladder you had just re-introduced Mary's and Cindy's vocals. what a wonderful opportunity on Everybody to give the girls a bit more room to shine. like they did with the live version.

i think a faster beat, some more shared lead elements, a more aggressive Jean vocal and a more powerful backing track might have made the difference

in other words, complete redo it lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    in other words, complete redo it lol
    I get it. That's how I feel about some songs. Great songs, like "Everybody", starts out with a great shell. In this case, you have the lyrics and the basic melody, all very nice. You take the original greatness and expound upon it to create a hit single. Sometimes the shell is great but if the producer doesn't add anything more to it, then it just duds along. Most hit songs do more than "dud along". There are quite a few cuts in the Supremes' catalog I feel could've benefitted from a complete redo and "Everybody's Got the Right To Love" is definitely on the list. As is, I still love it, but I never would've green lit this for single release.