[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    He's retiring so he's like:

I remembered the incident between Tina and Elton. Tina, according to a former musician with the Ike & Tina Turner Revue, would be ordering the band around when Ike was going somewhere. Tina knew how the music should sound so she would scold out whoever made a bad note. She also would argue with an Ikette if that Ikette messed up on a move [[Ike sometimes would choreograph them too).

To my knowledge, she didn't fine or fire anyone [[that was Ike's job) but Tina was dead on them when Ike wasn't around. Tina was like that with her bands after going solo, which worked out because Tina kept making bank for over 30 years after she left Ike.

Tina is NOT the woman you see on the What's Love Got to Do With It film. Elton can admit to being a brat. You can hear the rant today, I think.
    Actually, Tina struggled following her launching a solo career, working small clubs with a few backup singer/dancers and small musical combos and was heavily in debt going back to her Ike days... I saw her at a place called DB's in Dearborn in this early 80's period... It was her life changing comeback with the Private Dancer release that re-launched her career and shot her back to stardom, but there were some very rough years in between...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 10-17-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Actually, Tina struggled following her launching a solo career, working small clubs with a few backup singer/dancers and small musical combos and was heavily in debt going back to her Ike days... I saw her at a place called DB's in Dearborn in this early 80's period... It was her life changing comeback with the Private Dancer release that re-launched her career and shot her back to stardom, but there were some very rough years in between...
    Yeah I know. I read up on her years of struggle [[1976-82). When Tina started her solo career, the albums she released afterwards didn't do much and the label dropped her [[I think the label itself never recovered either since it was on borrowed time - United Artists).

Then she tried various options: a cabaret show, a Vegas-y rock show, then finally the rock gigs that she ended up doing once Roger Davies worked with her in which the act became more grittier [[since Tina wanted to do "what the Stones and Rod does"). And then Roger struggled to get Tina a label. I forget how many labels Roger said turned them down before the deal with Capitol in 1983.

Tina's European ties, for better or worse, saved her [[as did her Australian manager lol). She did the impossible as a black woman and did become the rock goddess she always wanted to be...and in a sense, ALWAYS was.