[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree. Phyliss did a lovely version, but of course this deeply troubled lady had the voice of an angel. The anguish and heartbreak in her voice was so moving. It may even surpass the Spinners version.
    Yeah I actually can't stand to hear the Spinners' version lol

She gave the song what it needed. Like I said, the Supremes' version was cute but definitely should've been sung by Scherrie. No Susaye lol [[I don't mind Mary's voice in this though)

Phyllis was such a musical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

She gave the song what it needed. Like I said, the Supremes' version was cute but definitely should've been sung by Scherrie. No Susaye lol [[I don't mind Mary's voice in this though)

No. Only Mary Wilson could have sung that song that nice. She is the Supreme Queen of ballads! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No. Only Mary Wilson could have sung that song that nice. She is the Supreme Queen of ballads! LOL!
    i do like Mary's version, although my fav ballad of hers on HE is Don't Let My Teardrops.

And i don't argue that mary was strong on the ballads in the MSS era. but both S and S were very versatile and talented singers. to limit them ONLY to the dance tracks wasn't right. Mary certainly did [[for better or worse) her share of dance leads. if nothing else it would be interesting to hear the different interpretations.

Scherrie we know would have been sensational on a ballad like this. and i'm super intrigued with what Susaye would have done. there's a stunning version of her My Funny Valentine floating around on youtube. amazing! you might need to redo the arrangment of I Don't Want To Love You to better accommodate her style and approach. but damn!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i do like Mary's version, although my fav ballad of hers on HE is Don't Let My Teardrops.

And i don't argue that mary was strong on the ballads in the MSS era. but both S and S were very versatile and talented singers. to limit them ONLY to the dance tracks wasn't right. Mary certainly did [[for better or worse) her share of dance leads. if nothing else it would be interesting to hear the different interpretations.

Scherrie we know would have been sensational on a ballad like this. and i'm super intrigued with what Susaye would have done. there's a stunning version of her My Funny Valentine floating around on youtube. amazing! you might need to redo the arrangment of I Don't Want To Love You to better accommodate her style and approach. but damn!!
    I only like the ballads when they are sung by Mary Wilson.

Oh yeah, "Teardrops" is a gorgeous recording. Mary does something with it that even the great Dionne Warwick couldn't do with it. It really should've been a single, maybe punched up a bit.

I will say that listening to Scherrie sing ballads in their live shows, she often was very vocally animated, which is exactly why she would've been a great addition to Broadway, but I'm not sure her voice lent itself all that well to pop ballads the way that Mary's did. Even in Glass House I think Scherrie was primarily lead on uptempo numbers, although she does a brilliant rendition of "A House Is Not A Home".

Obviously Susaye was well suited to ballads. But I don't care for her voice, so...

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh yeah, "Teardrops" is a gorgeous recording. Mary does something with it that even the great Dionne Warwick couldn't do with it. It really should've been a single, maybe punched up a bit.

I will say that listening to Scherrie sing ballads in their live shows, she often was very vocally animated, which is exactly why she would've been a great addition to Broadway, but I'm not sure her voice lent itself all that well to pop ballads the way that Mary's did. Even in Glass House I think Scherrie was primarily lead on uptempo numbers, although she does a brilliant rendition of "A House Is Not A Home".

Obviously Susaye was well suited to ballads. But I don't care for her voice, so...
    i thought she was excellent on her version of the slow My World. but she also REALLY ventured into a jazzy/blues approach to it. worked wonderfully but definitely not a pop approach.

But given her Sup 75 songs with Ivey and Woodford, i think she could have done excellent pop ballads. her vocals on You Can't Stop A Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Give Out, Bandit and It's All Been Said [[which i know isn't Ivey/Woodford) shows a very definite pop style with just a touch of jazz to make it unique and interesting. While I think Mary's version of You Turn Me Around is quite nice, it would still be interesting to hear Scherrie's take on it.

i thought she was excellent on her version of the slow My World. but she also REALLY ventured into a jazzy/blues approach to it. worked wonderfully but definitely not a pop approach.

But given her Sup 75 songs with Ivey and Woodford, i think she could have done excellent pop ballads. her vocals on You Can't Stop A Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Give Out, Bandit and It's All Been Said [[which i know isn't Ivey/Woodford) shows a very definite pop style with just a touch of jazz to make it unique and interesting. While I think Mary's version of You Turn Me Around is quite nice, it would still be interesting to hear Scherrie's take on it.
    Of the ballads, I think only "I Don't Want To Lose You" might have needed Scherrie. I'm not sure who could've saved "Til The Boat"...I love the intro to the song but the rest is so boring. Yet I think the song fit Mary better than it would have Scherrie. As I type this and ponder the issue some more, I think the ballad differences for Mary vs Scherrie is that Scherrie would've probably rocked a power ballad. I could hear Scherrie doing something like Aretha's "Break It To Me Gently", Cheryl Barnes "Easy To Be Hard", or Dee Dee Sharp's cover of "I'm Not In Love". Mary, great ballad singer that she was [[and is), she couldn't handle those tunes. But the stuff Mary led like "Turn Me Around" or "Heart Of Me", those songs don't fit Scherrie IMO, they fit Mary. I might could hear Scherrie doing "Can We Love Again", and probably "Teardrops". But the ballads the group was doing at this point largely fit Mary. Scherrie needed ballads that hit you like a ton of bricks.

Yes she was. It is such a tragedy that she was unable to find true happiness. She gave us so much and left us with a wonderful legacy of recordings.

Phyllis was a vocal beast. I really don't care for the song "I Don't Want to Lose You" by anyone, but if I have to sit through it, it would be Phyllis' version.