[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think I mentioned this before. We did not get cable TV until around 1982-83 and I did not see it until I came home on school breaks. All through the 60s and 70s we only got local channels with a roof antenna. We got one of those big rotary tower antenna's in 1973 which allowed us to get a few more independent channels in Detroit and a few more Canadian stations up into Ontario. Honestly, we did not know cable TV even existed until the 80s.
    We got cable in the mid-70s. I remember when HBO started at 5:00 PM every day [[went off around midnight or 1AM). Everybody in junior high was captivated by HBO. The cable company sent a little TV guide with HBO programming with the monthly bill and I'd rip the envelope open as soon as it arrived to see what was coming on.

Does anybody remember Pong? It was the first computer game. Who could have predicted that it would lead to things like Mortal Kombat, where the goal is beat down your opponent in a martial arts contest. Some video games are complex and rendered as realistically as movies, who would have thought something so simple would evolve that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We got cable in the mid-70s. I remember when HBO started at 5:00 PM every day [[went off around midnight or 1AM). Everybody in junior high was captivated by HBO. The cable company sent a little TV guide with HBO programming with the monthly bill and I'd rip the envelope open as soon as it arrived to see what was coming on.

Does anybody remember Pong? It was the first computer game. Who could have predicted that it would lead to things like Mortal Kombat, where the goal is beat down your opponent in a martial arts contest. Some video games are complex and rendered as realistically as movies, who would have thought something so simple would evolve that way?
    I remember Pong even before Pac-Man. It was dull and boring compared to the video games that came after. Just playing ping pong on a dark background on your TV. Didn't have a big box that came with it?

Yep. There were a couple of other games on the console. One was Knockout but I can't remember the other. We played those stupid games for hours over my aunt's house. LOL. Kind of like the first generation of brain dead gamers. But we got tired of it within a month and were back playing tackle football in the field down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yep. There were a couple of other games on the console. One was Knockout but I can't remember the other. We played those stupid games for hours over my aunt's house. LOL. Kind of like the first generation of brain dead gamers. But we got tired of it within a month and were back playing tackle football in the field down the street.
    We use to got to this place called Cherry Hot Dog, a restaurant near my cousins. We'd plug in the pinball machine and play it over and over without paying LOL!

Check this: when we did go out to play, when did we have to be back home? Wait for it. Right-o! When the street lights came on! We barely made it!! Cause all us kids had a mass exodus of Huffys and 10-speed Schwinns traveling the world, it seemed!! If not that playing at least 2 or 3 sports [[sandlot). Then, eating dinner over your best bud's house!!! That was the real "Simple Life!"

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Check this: when we did go out to play, when did we have to be back home? Wait for it. Right-o! When the street lights came on! We barely made it!! Cause all us kids had a mass exodus of Huffys and 10-speed Schwinns traveling the world, it seemed!! If not that playing at least 2 or 3 sports [[sandlot). Then, eating dinner over your best bud's house!!! That was the real "Simple Life!"
    I'll never forget the day when I was 10 years old and stayed over my friend Duke's house until after 9:00 PM. It was only six or seven houses away across the street but my folks absolutely freaked out. They weren't angry with me but had called all over to find out where I was. I felt horrible [[still do) even though we never talked about it again.