Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
it really was a patchwork album. there was 0 connectivity between the tunes in terms of production approach, style, anything. but it doesn't strike me as quick as disjointed at LTISH or Cream of the Crop.

now that said, there are some tunes that are really questionable. like Forever Young - i find her vocals way to wispy and breathy. Rescue Me is ok i guess but she always had some "oldies" tune on her albums or a knock off like So Close. the woman was now 40 and didn't need to be reminding people of "oldies" if her goal was to appear current and relevant.

i can deal with Children, had the hideous children's choir not been included. or at least if they could have sang in tune! there's this false notion that kids sing endearingly off pitch and that it's "cute." plenty of kids choirs can sing in pitch just fine.
One thing I noticed about the RCA material was how old fashioned everything was. Like you said, if Diana was tried to appeal to that era's young listeners, she didn't play her cards right by adding in oldies tunes or '60s-era type of material. Because it would bring attention to her age. That definitely added to why she had such a sales slump.