Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
"I Promise To Wait My Love" is one of those songs that I really WANT to like but just can't. When you listen to it, it has a lot going for it to be sure, but when I first heard it on the purple Anthology album, it just sounded like such a far cry from the classic Motown Sound that I wanted to hear on everything. My first thought was that the song was an Aretha Franklin copy and the tempo was in a big hurry to go nowhere.

"Forget Me Not" was at first a "meh" song for me. Then, I took a good listen to it one day and it just hit in such an emotional way that I couldn't stop listening to it.
I think what is so appealing about "Forget Me Not" is that it shows Martha's softer side, and that she knew how to vocalize and be effective on ballads, something she didn't get a lot of credit for generally.

I think this is also why on so many other tunes that weren't necessarily big hits, Martha still shows what an adept singer she was. Songs like "You've Been in Love Too Long," "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things," "Go Ahead and Laugh," showed just how versatile she really was.

I never thought "I Promise to Wait" evoked Aretha, but thinking about it, yes I agree. It does definitely have a vocal that sounds like Franklin, especially just the opening line which kind of reminds me [[now that I've thought of it) of the opening to Aretha's "Think" or "The House That Jack Built."