[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    You couldn't find one person walking the earth now that remembers one song from the SAW period.
    Nonsense! She only did one album with the team. The hit single was "This Time I Know It's For Real", and aside from DS fans, most people who were teens or in their twenties at the time will remember the song. If you recall, the album put her back on the charts and back in the press. Man, I know the music is generic, and nothing but the production team's trademarked sound, but Summer is the one voice that made whole difference. Go back and listen to the song. It's great!

"She Works Hard For The Money" was decent, but it definitely failed to bring her back into the limelight long term.
    I think you have a short memory. That was a huge album, and it was critically acclaimed. It really got her back into the limelight, and even brought her to a new audience because of MTV, and her videos constant rotation on it. I'm still sick of hearing "Unconditional Love", the single she did with Musical Youth.

Comparing her post-Casablanca work to her in her prime isn't even night and day. More like day and a tri-state area blackout.
    Now, what I didn't like was her first album after she signed with Geffen "The Wanderer". That was crap. But, it worked because it was in line with the changing musical climate. I'll bet you don't even like her album with the Quincy Jones team.

Silly! Maybe it's just the sound of the 80s music that turns you off. I don't like a lot of it. A ,ot of it was pure garbage to me. But, Summer's vocal somehow almost always transcended the musical backing or production....except "The Wanderer".
    Last edited by soulster; 01-04-2011 at 08:52 PM.

smark21 Guest
    [QUOTE=soulster;26583]Nonsense! She only did one album with the team. The hit single was "This Time I Know It's For Real", and aside from DS fans, most people who were teens or in their twenties at the time will remember the song. If you recall, the album put her back on the charts and back in the press. Man, I know the music is generic, and nothing but the production team's trademarked sound, but Summer is the one voice that made whole difference. Go back and listen to the song. It's great!

This Time I Know It's for Real is one of SAW's best, thanks to Donna Summer's vocal. She more than rose to the occasion with that SAW album. SAW also got Banarama to really belt on the hits they produced for them. And they gave Kylie Minougue her start as a pop tart.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Nonsense! She only did one album with the team. The hit single was "This Time I Know It's For Real", and aside from DS fans, most people who were teens or in their twenties at the time will remember the song. If you recall, the album put her back on the charts and back in the press. Man, I know the music is generic, and nothing but the production team's trademarked sound, but Summer is the one voice that made whole difference. Go back and listen to the song. It's great!

I think you have a short memory. That was a huge album, and it was critically acclaimed. It really got her back into the limelight, and even brought her to a new audience because of MTV, and her videos constant rotation on it. I'm still sick of hearing "Unconditional Love", the single she did with Musical Youth.

Now, what I didn't like was her first album after she signed with Geffen "The Wanderer". That was crap. But, it worked because it was in line with the changing musical climate. I'll bet you don't even like her album with the Quincy Jones team.

Silly! Maybe it's just the sound of the 80s music that turns you off. I don't like a lot of it. A ,ot of it was pure garbage to me. But, Summer's vocal somehow almost always transcended the musical backing or production....except "The Wanderer".
    My delicate sensibilities prevent from revisiting such unimpressive material. You might as well hit the agree to disagree button, because we ain't gonna see eye to eye on this one. Total disco drek.

On the contrary, I have a fantastic memory for meaningful music. That album bought her an extra 15 minutes at best. The wave created by that record certainly didn't extend to the next record.

There's tons of 80's music that I like, but DS's output during this time ain't one of them.