[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    yes, Andantes & other Motown session people are on "Dear Lover" , I'm not sure about "Love Letters" .Carl Davis & Sonny Sanders had them flown in & out real quick. I love "Whispers[[Getting Louder) by Jackie. You know "Selfish One" by Jackie Ross was actually written for Mary but it was never personally presented to her. I was with Mary at a club in Miami & one of the writers came to see her [[McKinley) and told her. But as Mary said Jackie did a great job on that song.

[QUOTE=motony;493565]You know "Selfish One" by Jackie Ross was actually written for Mary but it was never personally presented to her.

One the greatest “non-Motown” Motown recordings!

[QUOTE=mowest;493675]
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    You know "Selfish One" by Jackie Ross was actually written for Mary but it was never personally presented to her.

One the greatest “non-Motown” Motown recordings!
    Mary was in a slump at 20th Century-Fox by that time. Had she recorded the song, even with benefit of Hitsville moonlighters, it would probably have fared no better than her other 20th Century sides. The intro was clearly a nod to "My Guy," which started out with that riff from “Canadian Sunset," while "Selfish One” started out with a few bars of “Tenderly.” It would have been too formulaic for Mary to record, I think. Jackie Ross did a wonderful job with it. Then Mary went to Atco, and they did the same thing with “Dear Lover,” which starts out with a few bars of “Hello, Young Lovers.”

[QUOTE=motony;493565]yes, Andantes & other Motown session people are on "Dear Lover" , I'm not sure about "Love Letters." Carl Davis & Sonny Sanders had them flown in & out real quick.

Thanks for answering motony; I’ve wondered about that for a long time!