[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Hot 100 Chart is not a white chart. It is an integrated chart of all kinds of music. To become number one on that chart is an accomplishment because the artist is competing with all types of music. The Hot 100 has had a variety of music at the top.

Japanese Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto [[sp)
    Italian Nel Blu De Pinto De Blu Doninque Modunyo [[sp)
    Gospel Oh Happy Day
    Cartoons Chipmunk Song
    Sugar Sugar
    Soul Where Did Our Love Go
    and even a Singing Nun and Barking Dogs

I've never heard of it referred to as a white chart

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I've never heard of it referred to as a white chart
    Unfortunately, a lot of Black people refer to it as the 'white" chart. There may be some truth to it because the majority of the population is still white, and the majority of radio stations are/were pop/rock or country stations, which have more white listeners than the R&B/urban/Black/whatever stations. However, since much of the music that makes it to the top is R&B/hip-hop/disco/funk/rap, one cannot reliably say that pop/rock is the type of music that is always played on them, or is consumed by those white audiences.

I want to add that I also frequent another message board where many members dislike R&B music. I really wish people would stop segregating themselves from different types of music.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.