[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A posting on Facebook says this is #1 on the Itunes UK single chart.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    A posting on Facebook says this is #1 on the Itunes UK single chart.
    They're exaggerating - it reached a peak of #14 and has since subsided to #26.

Great to see the positive publicity Diana is getting for Thank You but in the current climate and methodology of the chart compilation it is unlikely to make a chart appearance - at least in the UK.

iTune sales in the UK now are pretty low - it's mostly Streaming now for singles.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    They're exaggerating - it reached a peak of #14 and has since subsided to #26.

Great to see the positive publicity Diana is getting for Thank You but in the current climate and methodology of the chart compilation it is unlikely to make a chart appearance - at least in the UK.

iTune sales in the UK now are pretty low - it's mostly Streaming now for singles.
    Streaming in the US is also the main source of listening to music. And there is no money in it for the artist. Thankfully, Diana will have her album released in physical format too in every configuration - except maybe 8 track. And some of them collectable type editions that fans will buy at a premium.

There is a thread in the main forum of SD about how streaming is ripping off the artists
    Streaming Just Aint Working For The Artists. No Money For Them

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...money-for-them

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Streaming in the US is also the main source of listening to music. And there is no money in it for the artist. Thankfully, Diana will have her album released in physical format too in every configuration - except maybe 8 track. And some of them collectable type editions that fans will buy at a premium.

There is a thread in the main forum of SD about how streaming is ripping off the artists
    Streaming Just Aint Working For The Artists. No Money For Them

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...money-for-them
    I hate streaming. It's such a shallow, empty, soulless experience, and the artists are being ripped off.
    If you wish to help the artist buy the physical product if it is available. That is especially important for the artists whose record sales were modest back in the day. The likes of Diana Ross do not need the money, but many of the other veteran artists do. I know one exceptionally talented male vocalist who enjoyed reasonable success back in the day, but now he is struggling badly. He has been unable to perform live due to covid 19, and the guy barely has a dime to his name. It is so sad.
    There is another performer now deceased who also struggled financially in the months prior to their passing. These artists relied on the live work to give them a reasonable standard of living. Without that some of the performers we love and admire are pretty much on the breadline. It really is pitifully sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I hate streaming. It's such a shallow, empty, soulless experience, and the artists are being ripped off.
    If you wish to help the artist buy the physical product if it is available. That is especially important for the artists whose record sales were modest back in the day. The likes of Diana Ross do not need the money, but many of the other veteran artists do. I know one exceptionally talented male vocalist who enjoyed reasonable success back in the day, but now he is struggling badly. He has been unable to perform live due to covid 19, and the guy barely has a dime to his name. It is so sad.
    There is another performer now deceased who also struggled financially in the months prior to their passing. These artists relied on the live work to give them a reasonable standard of living. Without that some of the performers we love and admire are pretty much on the breadline. It really is pitifully sad.
    I agree that artists need to be paid from platforms playing their music. This is criminal that other companies can make money from playing their music but none of that revenue reaches the actual artists. How does that happen?
    I will say that I absolutely LOVE my streaming service. It allows me to listen to music that I may never have gotten the chance to listen to. I've discovered artists and music that I never knew existed. Music that never gets played on radio or on television. Or music that has been lost to time. I remember last summer listening to all of David Ruffin's albums that he released. Albums that I've never run across in record stores when I use to buy and collect old albums. My streaming service allowed me to do that. I also listen to a lot of jazz and it's right at my finger tips and it is truly awesome. It's almost like having the keys to the world's largest music store.