Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
There's some truth to that Tom, I'm sure. But I have to say there's some truth to the difference in the business of music today vs yesterday. I've noticed that as time goes on the business is less interested in actual vocal talent and more interested in being able to package an entertainer...one who may or may not have any discernible vocal talent. And everyone is trying so hard to sound like everyone else. I heard someone singing on TV yesterday and I thought "he sounds very good" but honestly he sounded no different than a dozen other guys out there right now. I would not be able to pick his voice out of a lineup. Creativity is missing. Actual instruments have been replaced by machines. Most of the real singers, musicians and creators are found on the fringes of the industry rather than in the midst of it. That's not how it used to be. Of course there are some exceptions and there are definitely some acts I enjoy today as much as anyone, Bruno Mars for instance.

But something did happen.
Oh yeah RanRan, there's some truth to what you say as well. I do think that music isn't as good generally as it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but that's not to say that it isn't good now. You canne shut off your ears to all music today because it's from today!

There are still bands with lots of talent and genuine musicianship... The Bamboos, Durand Jones & The Indications, Lee Fields & The Expressions... and "proper" singers like John Legend [[I know you're not a fan ), Gregory Porter and Leon Bridges. And I think to make it in the industry you need to have both genuine talent and "it" [[like star quality, an image, something unique, etc).

But to think that young people won't be able to associate with the music that they grew up because it isn't as good as the music you grew up with is not at all true. I'll still be jamming to Jess Glynne, DNCE and even a bit of Ariana when I'm old and codgery. [[And of course jamming to whatever music is out at the time too )