[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks, CoolKatz! Yes, it's certainly great to have Too Much A Little Too Soon positioned with its chronological sisters and brothers on More Hits Expanded, but as you know, Motown has not always adhered to that determinant when placing songs on albums, in particular reissue albums.

Sometimes, there have been [[and are projected to be) repeats or alternate takes of certain titles from the A' Go-Go sessions in the H-D-H and other lps. For instance, A'Go-Go Expanded includes [[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave and It's The Same Old Song from the H-D-H album and Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart, What The World Needs Now Is Love and several more from later albums.

Other times, as with [[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart appearing on H-D-H Extended CD but not on Where Did Our Love Go Extended, recordings have not always appeared in timeline order on the Extended Editions. Too, the A' Go-Go Extended CD includes, oddly, an alternate from I Hear A Symphony Extended. At these times, if you want to listen to related songs, such as Come See About Me and Always In My Heart, as it was known in its 45-B-Side days, you have to pull out two CDs or two vinyl records, which can be inconvenient, and the audio/balance on the two sources may not be the same, so if you put together mix tapes or mix CDs, making the two songs like they come from the same master can be difficult.

In any event, from the first time I heard Too Much A Little Too Soon and Am I Asking Too Much on The Never-Before Released Masters, I recognized that they seemed to be the "missing link" for the Reflections album. Each of the two songs has some of the same moody, vaguely psychedelic sound of, respectively, Bah-Bah-Bah and I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You), but each, also, seems akin, rhythmically, to Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart and In And Out Of Love. All exhibit fine examples of Diana's deft phrasing, whether she is weaving long clauses or terse lines into the complex tapestry of the songs individually or the album overall.

That's why I would like to hear these two songs mastered along with the others in a Reflections Expanded Edition: so there would be a seamless audio flow and the convenience of having it all on one CD and especially so the full potential of the album's completeness and cohesiveness could be experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Thanks, CoolKatz! Yes, it's certainly great to have Too Much A Little Too Soon positioned with its chronological sisters and brothers on More Hits Expanded, but as you know, Motown has not always adhered to that determinant when placing songs on albums, in particular reissue albums.

Sometimes, there have been [[and are projected to be) repeats or alternate takes of certain titles from the A' Go-Go sessions in the H-D-H and other lps. For instance, A'Go-Go Expanded includes [[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave and It's The Same Old Song from the H-D-H album and Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart, What The World Needs Now Is Love and several more from later albums.

Other times, as with [[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart appearing on H-D-H Extended CD but not on Where Did Our Love Go Extended, recordings have not always appeared in timeline order on the Extended Editions. Too, the A' Go-Go Extended CD includes, oddly, an alternate from I Hear A Symphony Extended. At these times, if you want to listen to related songs, such as Come See About Me and Always In My Heart, as it was known in its 45-B-Side days, you have to pull out two CDs or two vinyl records, which can be inconvenient, and the audio/balance on the two sources may not be the same, so if you put together mix tapes or mix CDs, making the two songs like they come from the same master can be difficult.

In any event, from the first time I heard Too Much A Little Too Soon and Am I Asking Too Much on The Never-Before Released Masters, I recognized that they seemed to be the "missing link" for the Reflections album. Each of the two songs has some of the same moody, vaguely psychedelic sound of, respectively, Bah-Bah-Bah and I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You), but each, also, seems akin, rhythmically, to Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart and In And Out Of Love. All exhibit fine examples of Diana's deft phrasing, whether she is weaving long clauses or terse lines into the complex tapestry of the songs individually or the album overall.

That's why I would like to hear these two songs mastered along with the others in a Reflections Expanded Edition: so there would be a seamless audio flow and the convenience of having it all on one CD and especially so the full potential of the album's completeness and cohesiveness could be experienced.
    Beautifully put!

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post

fun topic! and something to help bide the time until Reflections EE Love discussing how the various songs might have been combined into alt versions of the lps. or what tracks left in the vault frankly were more deserving to be on an lp than some of the released material

here are my 2 cents

You're Gone but always in my heart - yes this was recorded in winter 64 and the song could have been included on the WDOLG lp. thankfully it wasn't cuz IMO it's a dud of a song lol. I'm thinking if it had been left in the vaults like I Idolize You or Just Call Me, it would have been included on WDOLG EE. But as they have to try and shoehorn everything they can in, i think they cut You're Gone from WDOLG and figured they'd hold until HDH EE because 1) it appeared on that lp and 2) HDH did some additional recording with the strings in 66. so the original and the alt version could both appear on the EE together

completely agree about Am I Asking. it's definitely a sibling of the Reflections sounds and so I'm assuming it'll most certainly be included there.

Beginning of the End JUST missed the Reflections lp lol. the recording sessions are listed as the day AFTER the lp was released

Seems like the entire recording period for A Go Go and HDH is blurred. Frankly the HDH album is just an extension of the material recorded for A go Go. late 66 is an interesting period in their recording work. in late Sept they did Love Is Here and I Guess I'll Always Love You. then in Oct and Nov they did a little work on My Guy [[with Smokey) and Love Makes Me Do Foolish. They also did Old Love but their vocals erased. that's it, at least according to the data we have so far. All of their remaining recording work was focused on R&H and Broadway/Hollywood. So from the time A Go Go was released, they really didn't record hardly any new tunes.

their version of Love Makes Me Do is quite nice. Sure it's not Martha' original but frankly i prefer it to their cover of Heatwave or It's the same old song. I think LMMDFT would have been a better song to include on HDH, although apparently the track wasn't completed in time