[REMOVE ADS]

Technical Question on Marvelettes Box Sets - Forever & Forever More

Does anyone know the actual number of box sets that were manufactured and sold for the two outstanding Marvelettes sets: Forever and Forever More.

Someone must know the answer. Thanks.

The first volume was a run of 5,000 copies. I don't remember if it was ever explicitly said how many were made of the second volume, but I'm going to assume that it was also 5,000 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    The first volume was a run of 5,000 copies. I don't remember if it was ever explicitly said how many were made of the second volume, but I'm going to assume that it was also 5,000 copies.
    Thanks. I don't know why the information on these releases is so privileged and not publicized. Bits and pieces come out sporadically. I have seen the number for the Complete Motown Singles, but the others usually is never revealed.

I seem to remember in the earlier years of Hip-O Select, back when they still had their online webstore, they used to state the pressing quantity of each release in the product description. As you may already know, some of the very early releases were printed with individual numbers. Once Hip-O Select abandoned their online retail store, I seem to remember that is when the pressing quantities stopped being disclosed on a consistent basis. I suspect the reason for this was because the long-term demand for some titles were difficult to gauge. From a business perspective, it would be easier for them to generally state that it was limited edition, versus being restricted to a run of 5,000 copies. That way, if the title did initially better or worse than anticipated, they could minimize the financial risk by pressing fewer copies up front for the first run [[ie 2,500) and then press more if needed, later on, whether that be none at all, or another 10,000. Doing it this way would also be less of a risk with alienating the fans. I've seen some labels do second runs of limited edition titles that were specifically limited to a certain quantity, after they sold out, and it tends to piss off the collectors, who are running to pay a premium for a title, under the assumption that it won't be available ever again. It breaks that sense of trust and sense of urgency for future "limited edition" titles.

Not disclosing the pressing quantity but making a general statement of a title being limited edition gives the record label more wiggle room with how to proceed in the future. It also creates enough of a sense of mystery to still maintain that urgency amongst the fans to "buy it now, while you can!"
    ...Record exec says offside in a whispering voice: "...But we might keep pressing more copies, if it's making us good money!"
    Last edited by carlo; 03-13-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Hi,

This happened with the unreleased "David" David Ruffin album, was a numbered, limited release, 3500 copies.

Later a jewel case second run, unnumbered was pressed and sold.

You are correct. Both box sets were 5,000 copies. I printed off the info for all the Motown CDs as well as others on the Hip-O Select site so was able to look it up and verify it.