[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    A lot of folks had major problems with that and some still do to this day. Online I've seen
    people still talking about his song I Wish He Didn't Trust Me So Much was Bobby expressing post event guilt over his relationship with Sam Cooke. Anyway Bobby's
    book I agree was very good but there is so much he left out of it that I've often wondered about. He played , uncredited, on Sly Stone first releases but never really
    said much about it. Same thing for George Clinton's P-Funk All Stars first album. Glen
    Goins, Parliament's guitarist and singer, legendary for calling down the Mothership in
    concerts was Bobby's guitar player prior to P-funk but Bobby never mentions him by name. There's a lot of other things I'd like to know like how he came to play as a sideman on Tracy Chapman's Matters Of The Heart....too much...
    Didn't know about P-Funk All-Stars and Matters of the Heart [[which I own)! I do know that he composed "Trust Me" and gave it to Janis Joplin; he was also with her hours before she fatally overdosed.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Didn't know about P-Funk All-Stars and Matters of the Heart [[which I own)! I do know that he composed "Trust Me" and gave it to Janis Joplin; he was also with her hours before she fatally overdosed.
    Yes, Bobby and ex Living Color axe slinger Vernon Reid both assisted Tracey on that release. I and some old friends of mine called it her "black album". There was early in her
    career a trend to bill her as this folk singer but we considered her a blues singer. But hey
    as Nina Simone said aren't we all folk singer, isn't all of the songs made by "folks"?...