[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    she knew exactly what she was doing - it was too carefully worded to be anything other than intentional. Anyone with cancer knows the diagnosis is NOT “I have cancer” it IS “I have BREAST cancer, I have BRAIN cancer, I have PANCREATIC Cancer” only a third person removed would refer to it just as cancer. And she did it twice. A week apart.

Remember a few years when her last album came out and she was getting publicity with “Diana ross had me kicked off her tour” headline? On 3 shows that was the teaser - 50 year old news. She hadn’t mentioned it in years, now, it’s everywhhere. This is just SS/DD. Like one person on YouTube wrote, “Gladys throws more shade than a 90 year old oak tree on growth hormones.’
    What I don't understand is why does Gladys feel bitter about her tenure with Motown? Motown helped to give her and the Pips national exposure. They had hit after hit in Motown between 1967 and 1973. She was shading Marvin for YEARS until recently where she suddenly was like "he deserved his success" mentioning Grapevine, etc.

In a recent interview in the UK, she brings up how she and Aretha met. Apparently she was 14 [[Aretha) and she was 9 [[Gladys) when they met? Which is weird because Aretha and Gladys are only two years apart from each other. She seems to now put herself as having been raised in Detroit rather than Atlanta now... :/

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    What I don't understand is why does Gladys feel bitter about her tenure with Motown? Motown helped to give her and the Pips national exposure. They had hit after hit in Motown between 1967 and 1973. She was shading Marvin for YEARS until recently where she suddenly was like "he deserved his success" mentioning Grapevine, etc.

In a recent interview in the UK, she brings up how she and Aretha met. Apparently she was 14 [[Aretha) and she was 9 [[Gladys) when they met? Which is weird because Aretha and Gladys are only two years apart from each other. She seems to now put herself as having been raised in Detroit rather than Atlanta now... :/
    Nothing you said makes sense or is true.

Gladys Knight is considered the greatest female artist that was signed to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Gladys and the truth are not good friends. They never have been. She’ll say anything and is a master at shade and lying.

gladys KNOWS she has a once in a millennium voice - she uses it with breathtaking accuracy and artistry. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging your greatness if you are truly great. Aretha also knew she was great and, considering her greatness, was, in her own way, kind of humble. Gladys does, however, suffer from ”it-should-have-been-ME-itis” [[like some others) at Motown when it comes to her success VS Diana and Aretha. They are bigger, more successful and decades after their last hits, still out draw and earn way more - and I believe, she’s jealous. This is why her cheap shots at Diana in her book and why, 50 years later, she is still grousing about Diana at Motown and her own “lack of support” from Berry to get headlines on TV shows. It’s not enough to say “ I have a new album” the teaser has to be “Gladys Knight tells why Diana Ross had her kicked off her tour” instead. This is why for 20 years she mocked Diana in her act and cannot let it go. This is why she felt the need to pull this stunt at Aretha’s funeral. This is why she uses the cheesy “empress Of Soul” title. I’d be embarrassed to use it even if it was given by someone else.