[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  21.1 KB
    No. The Brothers of Soul were Fred Bridges, Richard Knight, and Bobby Eaton [[all from Detroit). The Creations were Gerald Dickerson, Charles Boyd, and 2 other singers, all from Chicago. As I explained above, The Creations[[Chicago group), brought to Chicagoan, Ric Williams' Zodiac/Aquarius/Boo Records by Jo Armstead, along with Detroit producer/arranger, Mike Terry, and Detroit songwriters, Bridges, Knight & Eaton, were originally supposed to record "A Dream". But, for some reason, Bridges, Knight, & Eaton ended up doing the vocals, but the group name, The Creations was still used on the record. Bridges, Knight & Eaton [[who later became "The Brothers of Soul") had written the song, and as was their usual method, had sung the demo guide tape for the artists to use to learn it. Apparently, Armstead liked their demo enough to put that over the BG track and release it. Or, maybe The Creations couldn't make the session, and Armstead had them record, rather than waste the studio fee money?

The Creations releases were:

"Oh Baby"/"Plenty Of Love" [[Globe 1000)

"Just Remember Me"/"Times Are Changing" [[Globe 102) A Vietnam song-their biggest chart record

"I've Got To Find Her"/"Times Are Changing" [[Globe 103)

The "Creations" on Zodiac 105 was "A Dream"/"Footsteps"

So, the Brothers of Soul sang that song but under The Creations name. I can see how that would cause confusion. They must have done it again on another song. The reason that I asked the question about them also being The Creations concerns a song played on WVON on 8/29/67. The voices [[lead singer, back ground and music) are exactly like The Brothers of Soul other songs. There is no mistake of that. The DJ [[Bill "Butterball" Crane) said, "I hear foot steps and these are The Creations." The song was "Foot Steps." The world of music with it's many changes here and there, can cause a lot of mistakes.
    Last edited by mr_june; 08-11-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    So, the Brothers of Soul sang that song but under The Creations name. I can see how that would cause confusion. They must have done it again on another song. The reason that I asked the question about them also being The Creations concerns a song played on WVON on 8/29/67. The voices [[lead singer, back ground and music) are exactly like The Brothers of Soul other songs. There is no mistake of that. The DJ [[Bill "Butterball" Crane) said, "I hear foot steps and these are The Creations." The song was "Foot Steps." The world of music with it's many changes here and there, can cause a lot of mistakes.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  21.1 KB
    So, "Footsteps" was re-released as a B-side of a later Brothers Of Soul release on Williams' Boo or Shock Records in 1967? If so, was it a re-recording, or their original 1966 recording?

Yes. We'll never know if it was just an information transfer error that caused the group name "Creations" to end up on the Zodiac label [[because Bridges, Knight, and Eaton didn't have a group name at that time), OR that Ric Williams intended to have The Creations' version of those songs on the released record, but the tapes were accidentally switched [[placed in the wrong canister), OR, Williams wanted to have those songs "belong" to The Creations, and they would sing those songs in their live performances, but liked Bridges, Knight & Eaton's recording better, and thought it would sell better, OR, he just didn't want to throw away the expensive recording studio fee when The Creations didn't show up, so he had The Brothers sing it, and liked it so much, he released it as is, but intended to promote it using the contract-signed Creations.

The latter situation had happened many times in that business. Detroit's Golden World producer, Don Davis, wasn't happy with The Holidays' lead singer, Eddie Anderson's effort on "I'll Love You Forever", when label Owner Ed Wingate wanted to get a new record out quickly. Edwin Starr happened to be in the studio, and told Davis he could do a good job on that tune. Davis tried him, and liked his version much better. So, he put out the record. But Starr already had several good A-side recordings ready for future release, and Wingate wanted to get a Holidays' record out to promote his new group. So, the record was released as by The Holidays.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-11-2020 at 02:43 PM.