[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great thread Marv. I am somewhat mystified as to Otis' power. Couldn't the rest of group out vote him. ?Although I guess owning the name and being an original gave him the final say.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great thread Marv. I am somewhat mystified as to Otis' power. Couldn't the rest of group out vote him. ?Although I guess owning the name and being an original gave him the final say.
    Luke, it ain't even that complicated. My STRONG belief is that Otis was the silent, tough guy [[although all of the early members were pretty rough, forget that Suzanne DePasse fairytale movie LOL!) and he took control of the group early on in decision making.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-22-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  21.1 KB
    Not only owning the name, but Otis had started the group as Otis Williams and The Sibirians, in 1958, before they even changed their name to The Distants. He, himself, "allowed" Richard Street to join the group in 1959. He "allowed" Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to join after they left Johnnie Mae Matthews, and Richard Street was still deciding if he wanted to stay with them to take up Berry Gordy's earlier offer and come and see him about signing on with Motown. So, he has always considered the group as his. When they changed the group's name to The Temptations, the other members didn't complain, and stop Otis from continuing on as owner of the group's new name. So, HE had that extra power of leaving the group, and taking the group's name with him, and signing new members, and continuing on as The Temptations. While the others could only replace him, or not, and choose another group name. Once The Temptations became famous, it was even more important for the others to "allow Otis to do what he wanted" because they had too much invested in the goodwill they had built up with the public and their fans to start over with a new name.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  21.1 KB
    Not only owning the name, but Otis had started the group as Otis Williams and The Barbarians, in 1958, before they even changed their name to The Distants. He, himself, "allowed" Richard Street to join the group in 1959. He "allowed" Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to join after they left Johnnie Mae Matthews, and Richard Street was still deciding if he wanted to stay with them to take up Berry Gordy's earlier offer and come and see him about signing on with Motown. So, he has always considered the group as his. When they changed the group's name to The Temptations, the other members didn't complain, and stop Otis from continuing on as owner of the group's new name. So, HE had that extra power of leaving the group, and taking the group's name with him, and signing new members, and continuing on as The Temptations. While the others could only replace him, or not, and choose another group name. Once The Temptations became famous, it was even more important for the others to "allow Otis to do what he wanted" because they had too much invested in the goodwill they had built up with the public and their fans to start over with a new name.
    I heard it was because he could hit/punch the hardest! LOL!