[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Wasn't Florence planning to write her own bio at the time of her death?
    I thought her husband, Chapman, sold her memoirs to Gordy.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    I thought her husband, Chapman, sold her memoirs to Gordy.
    That came from TallTales Turner's book. I think anything in his book can pretty much be chucked into the fiction column.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That came from TallTales Turner's book. I think anything in his book can pretty much be chucked into the fiction column.
    aside from the fictional comedy elements of Tony's books, there are some great, shade-y, catty comments and one liners

Don't you walk out on me, i'll cut you too short to shit

Tambourine thumping project whore

if you reach that hand out to me, you'll pull back a bloody stump

horse-throated tramp

these are all phrases that are wonderful to drop into random conversations with people lolol.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    aside from the fictional comedy elements of Tony's books, there are some great, shade-y, catty comments and one liners

horse-throated tramp

these are all phrases that are wonderful to drop into random conversations with people lolol.
    Some of these one-liners are classic. I guess something good needed to come from his books. When I bought them, I was still young and green enough to think that everything I read was true. But some of it, whew!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Some of these one-liners are classic. I guess something good needed to come from his books. When I bought them, I was still young and green enough to think that everything I read was true. But some of it, whew!
    yeah at the time, it was sort of "well if it's in a book there must be some level of truth." I happened to find and buy the Temps book he did relatively quickly. My understanding is that quite a few people brought lawsuits [[or threatened to) and so it went off market relatively quickly.

then as the internet started up and fan chat rooms began, people started poking holes in it.

yeah at the time, it was sort of "well if it's in a book there must be some level of truth." I happened to find and buy the Temps book he did relatively quickly. My understanding is that quite a few people brought lawsuits [[or threatened to) and so it went off market relatively quickly.

then as the internet started up and fan chat rooms began, people started poking holes in it.
    I remember Martha Reeves saying something like "He [[Tony Turner) had nightmares and woke up and wrote them down."

His first book was sort of a more wicked, campy version of DREAMGIRL. His Tempts book was a tad darker. But when it came to some of the things he was proposing for his third book, I think people said enough is enough and it was never published.

He seemed to keep a low profile until RTL, when he released another paperback version of his Supremes book, which was supposedly updated to include new info regarding the tour. The "update" amounted to basically a couple of pages.
    Last edited by reese; 01-07-2020 at 12:48 PM.

I remember Martha Reeves saying something like "He [[Tony Turner) had nightmares and woke up and wrote them down."

His first book was sort of a more wicked, campy version of DREAMGIRL. His Tempts book was a tad darker. But when it came to some of the things he was proposing for his third book, I think people said enough is enough and it was never published.

He seemed to keep a low profile until RTL, when he released another paperback version of his Supremes book, which was supposedly updated to include new info regarding the tour. The "update" amounted to basically a couple of pages.
    That's a great Martha quote!

Glittered was basically regurgitated Dreamgirl stories that Tony was able to conjure up details for. Where Mary may have written something vague like "Flo, Diana and I were having lunch one afternoon when Flo farted and I fell out laughing. Diana ran off to tell Berry. It was as if Diana no longer had a sense of humor." Tall Tales would then write "Flo, Diana and Mary were having lunch one afternoon in Mary's suite. I came to the hotel as soon as school let out, and of course, even though I was just a kid, security let me go up to Mary's suite to hang out. When I got there Flo was glad to see me, as usual. Mary was polite, and Diana just gave me her bitchy look that said 'If I could put you in an oven and bake you, I would'. In return I gave her a look I'd seen Flo give and proceeded to ignore her. Flo, who was lactose intolerant and enjoying a dish smothered in cheese, suddenly broke wind. Mary and I fell out laughing, while Diana rolled her eyes and said 'Oh how common.' And when Flo joined in our laughter, Diana had enough. She left the suite and went into her own suite to call Berry. I followed behind her, but she didn't know it. She told Berry that Flo was cutting the cheese just to piss Diana off and she was tired of it. I ran back to Flo and told her what Diana said to Berry, and Flo told me 'That bitch is just mad that my farts sound better than she does.'

I didn't know he did an update regarding RTL. What in the world could he possibly know about it that the rest of the world didn't? I can't imagine that any Supreme had anything to do with him at that point in time.

I read it. I can't recall if I have a copy or not. It's been eons since I read it. I don't remember much.

Same here. I think I first read it when I was 14 and I hadn't yet learned that fiction can be marketed as nonfiction in certain situations. The book did not endear Diana to me at all. So glad that didn't last long.

horse-throated tramp

Can't argue with you there!