[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced.
    Teddy Riley co-produced that first album with Sweat. He was already in the music business, working as a Wall Street assistant broker at day, producer/singer/songwriter at night.

What surprises me is that Sweat is his real surname!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Teddy Riley co-produced that first album with Sweat. He was already in the music business, working as a Wall Street assistant broker at day, producer/singer/songwriter at night.

What surprises me is that Sweat is his real surname!
    Keith Sweat was another singer with a unique voice that benefited greatly from working with great producers. The difference between him and Bobby Brown is that Sweat's voice actually made the records better whereas Brown's voice didn't ruin them.

That might sound harsh, but listen to the songs on his first album. Those songs sound like the musical equivalent of the shock you feel after noticing an elephant turd floating in a hot tub. To his credit, Ralph Tresvant had a better voice but Brown produced better records, so I won't suggest that he got by on charisma alone. He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.

He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.
    I know most of the SDF crowd tends to focus only on the singing, but, again, the vocal wasn't the point of New Jack Swing. It was the music.

Notice how Bobby's vocal is always processed to a degree? That tells you right there that he didn't have the chops. But, so what? The recordings still sounded good. I enjoy them more than any of the other New Edition spawns.

Like I said, Bobby honestly couldn't sing to save his life.

Without Babyface and Teddy, the songs wouldn't have sizzled as they did. Lucky for Bobby at the time, he was in the right era where hip-hop and dance pop/R&B mixed perfectly that he could get away with it until it got old real fast.

By the time "Humpin' Around" came out, all the people who had bought Don't Be Cruel had moved on to other R&B talents.

I only say he was a two-album wonder because the "Bobby" album went platinum but it fell REAL short of Don't Be Cruel, Bobby's only moment of real superstardom. Afterwards, when he married Whitney, he just became Whitney's husband.

Also, the film's trailer did point out that drugs had taken over his need to continue his career so at least it's honest in that department.

A new trailer came out the other day and let's just say there are gonna be a few scenes that will be hard to watch especially when it comes to Bobby & Whitney.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-26-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Keith Sweat was another singer with a unique voice that benefited greatly from working with great producers. The difference between him and Bobby Brown is that Sweat's voice actually made the records better whereas Brown's voice didn't ruin them.

That might sound harsh, but listen to the songs on his first album. Those songs sound like the musical equivalent of the shock you feel after noticing an elephant turd floating in a hot tub. To his credit, Ralph Tresvant had a better voice but Brown produced better records, so I won't suggest that he got by on charisma alone. He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.
    Keith had more range but he always sounded like he was whining lmao [[that was something that was repeated often during his heyday; I still remember the stand up routine on Comic View where this female comic compared him to a child whining about food to the tune of "Nobody" lol)

THAT SAID, Keith had more classics than Bobby so he did have something that Bobby didn't have. Ralph's solo career was tragic, I wished people really knew how to produce him like they knew how to produce Bobby!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    THAT SAID, Keith had more classics than Bobby so he did have something that Bobby didn't have. Ralph's solo career was tragic, I wished people really knew how to produce him like they knew how to produce Bobby!
    That's a sad fact of the music game. I was still a boy when my dad taught me that Tony Williams wasn't the same without the Platters and Paul Desmond wasn't as good without Dave Brubeck as he was with him. The list is long [[consider Michael Cooper after Con Funk Shun disbanded). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ralph had great songs to sing with New Edition and a whole lot of yawners without them. To be honest though, he never put a lot of lung or inflection into even his hits. Like a male version of Janet Jackson [[don't @ me for that statement, y'all).

That's a sad fact of the music game. I was still a boy when my dad taught me that Tony Williams wasn't the same without the Platters and Paul Desmond wasn't as good without Dave Brubeck as he was with him. The list is long [[consider Michael Cooper after Con Funk Shun disbanded). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ralph had great songs to sing with New Edition and a whole lot of yawners without them. To be honest though, he never put a lot of lung or inflection into even his hits. Like a male version of Janet Jackson [[don't @ me for that statement, y'all).
    Yeah well there are cases such as Jeffrey Osborne and LTD!