Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
What we may be forgetting is that the Supremes were not performing a concert. They were performing a night club act in a smoke filled room, with people eating, drinking and talking. The show that they put on was for that audience, not for a concert audience. Sam Cook was the epitome of soul singers of his time and he also sang standards such as Bill Bailey, When I Fall In Love and Tennessee Waltz in his Copa act. It may sound corny now, but it was entertaining in its time and in front of a night club audience. As a recording, it serves as a history of what used to be.
Indeed. I always pitied that The Supremes never got to play stadiums or venues alike, with full versions of their hits plus some other material from their vast album repertoire. Like the stars in Monterey and Woodstock... where were the girls on big venues and festivals in their prime years [[1964-1967)? Or weren't those mass gigs yet invented? On big venues they always performed their MOR repertoire and the rush-rush medley of hits, didn't they? In fact, in all those years [[1964-1969) they only had two shows on the road, the Copa 1965 and the Talk of the Town 1968 show.
Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player... from the far east Europe!