[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I was very disappointed with the audio quality of Marvin's vocals on I've Come To Love You So Much, they sound slightly muffled and at a low volume level. Perhaps the master tape is damaged? However, I wonder if current AI software could restore his vocals to allow a quality version of the song to be created? If this could be undertaken, it would be one of my favourite Diana & Marvin songs.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I was very disappointed with the audio quality of Marvin's vocals on I've Come To Love You So Much, they sound slightly muffled and at a low volume level. Perhaps the master tape is damaged? However, I wonder if current AI software could restore his vocals to allow a quality version of the song to be created? If this could be undertaken, it would be one of my favourite Diana & Marvin songs.
    I agree as regards Marvin’s muffled vocals, with Diana’s voice far more prominent and clear. The album was remastered, but as you say with the huge advancement in software technology it could perhaps be improved upon. I also find the vocals on “ The Things I Would Miss” to buried in the mix.
    I think “ I’ve Come To Love” a pleasant song, but can see why it was left off the original release.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I was going to stay neutral this round so as to not always be contrary, but it appears that others share my feelings that this project just doesn't meet expectations. So what the heck ....

Having learned years later that they didn't even record together clarified for me what the biggest problem was.

Listening to this alternate version ...Ross sounds smooth and intimate, like she's right up against the microphone while Marvin sounds strained, like he's shouting from across the room. Not a good blend.

Lyrically it doesn't even make sense ....since they each are proclaiming to be in love with each other ...why is it a mistake?? Why are they both sounding so miserable ..... Its not made clear.... are they married to other people perhaps ...

I think both of their vocals and the song's viewpoint would've sounded better without the other ....they could have each had a bigger shot with MISTAKE as a solo hit ....and I would give the nod to Diana to have better pulled it off.

imo.

added: dump the harmonica
    I suspect that, in part, Diana sounds as she does and Marvin sounds as he does because their vocal ranges aren't the best match.

Marvin is singing at the top of his register, which will require him to strain a bit, while Diana is singing lower down in her register, which will sound more relaxed.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 05-26-2024 at 12:15 PM.