[REMOVE ADS]

Nice review. It’s a shame she’s reverted back to just one song from LSTB. I would sooner hear “God Bless The Child” or “The Man I love” as opposed to “More Today” or “Ease On Down The Road”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Nice review. It’s a shame she’s reverted back to just one song from LSTB. I would sooner hear “God Bless The Child” or “The Man I love” as opposed to “More Today” or “Ease On Down The Road”.
    I agree - God Bless or Lover Man or Strange Fruit

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree - God Bless or Lover Man or Strange Fruit
    Although i could do without the Gaynor song, it’s actually a well balanced show.
    It seems odd when considering her brief nod to LSTB is often singled out for additional praise that she doesn't expand this segment on a permanent basis. Perhaps she derives less enjoyment from performing songs of love and regret as opposed to those positive message numbers.

Looks like her show has been reconfigured so that instead of having Rhonda open for her, Rhonda now performs a few songs midway through the show so Diana can take a break.

I'd rather Diana sing another LSTB song rather than lead the audience in chanting positive thinking mantras. But I guess Miss Ross likes to get her est on. Maybe the mantra chanting is a nod to the Secrets of a Sparrow part of her public persona and as these concerts she now does are career retrospectives it makes sense.

Her LSTB segment has diminished over the years , but at 80... I expect such changes.
    Will be seeing her this Sunday..
    I figure this most likely will be my last Ross concert.
    At 80, I can't imagine her touring much longer.
    Excited but nervous...missed her last time.wasnt taking any chances this time.
    But I agree, let go of a few songs,..ease on down.....but she has so many songs..

I'M COMING OUT is ample for the LSTB segment.

daviddh have a great time! take notes!!!

Just came from the Baltimore Lyric Opera House.
    Ms Ross show was great.
    Must say I was a bit nervous having not seen her in a while .
    Glad I was able to join my friends tonight for a great evening of music. ross looked and sounded good.
    All the big hits but , the set list was a bit different than I remembered
    Gone was Love Child,It's My House, if the World Just Danced....[[Bummer) For me....and Look Of Love.
    But Diana did a nice set of hits,
    Coming out
    More today
    Baby, stop, hurry love
    Touch me in the morning
    Boss
    Upside down
    Reach out n touch
    Love hangover,Take Me higher,ease on Down the Road.
    Don't explain
    All is well w Rhonda
    Rhonda sang two songs
    Why do fool fall
    Do you know where
    Ain't no mountain
    I will survive
    Thank you

I noticed , show was a bit shorter, or set list was.
    Only one new song,
    Three supreme songs
    Band was a tad louder
    Four back up singers, they sang more n louder in places where Diana couldn't...
    Over all good show

the shorter show is probably to accommodate her age. it takes a LOT to perform even as long as she's doing now.

and I agree that More Today or I Will Survive could easily go in favor of some more of her own classic material, but i think the goal of these shows is a sort of "greatest hits" that everyone knows. the LSTB material is gorgeous but 1) it's much more strenuous for the voice and 2) the tunes aren't really as readily known as these other big hits. the audiences coming to these are often looking for a trip down memory lane and the jazz things aren't necessarily as known.

When I saw Rhonda open for her mother a couple of years ago she did a few of her own songs, but also included a cover of "Somewhere" from West Side Story so there was one familiar song for some of the audience.

Now that Rhonda is essentially performing a mini set in the middle of the show, is she including any familiar songs in her set such as "Somewhere"? Or is she performing just her own material?

She performed her own material
    I did not know either song

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    She performed her own material
    I did not know either song
    How did those around you enjoy her set? Did many take this as an opportunity to run to the bathroom or to the concession stand? Or did they pay attention to the performance? Or ignored it and chatted with each other or went on their phones to text or check their social media, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    How did those around you enjoy her set? Did many take this as an opportunity to run to the bathroom or to the concession stand? Or did they pay attention to the performance? Or ignored it and chatted with each other or went on their phones to text or check their social media, etc?

the audiences have been very respectful, much to my surprise. Yes there are people checking their phones and there are people talking and there are people getting up and going to do whatever they choose to do, mostly, people sat there and took it politely. Personally, I would rather watch a travelogue. The duet works very well so when diana leaves were lured into a fall sense of security. I assume these are all original written by Rhonda, no one else is going to claim them. I’m not a big fan of Rhonda but I would rather her open the show or do a set afterwards. But jabbing her into the middle of otherwise perfect show is a bad case of concertus interruptis. She gets away with it because the audience is having such a good time, that when Rhonda starts to entertain, everybody allows the indulgence. I would rather have the show 10 minutes shorter. by comparison, the chant is wonderful. I don’t think anyone actually minds the chant, she appears to be very sincere about it and people do like getting in the moment with her for a minute.

for 80 years old, I have to be extremely grateful that she looks great sounds wonderful and her performance skills are undiminished. What night she was having a lot of sound problems for a little bit and she was so good natured and sweet about it. it seems that she sang most of it live, but there were a few songs where she was singing with a tape.

I have given up asking for different songs, more gowns or anything or different anything. She is providing a whole lot more than I ever expected at this point and I’m appreciative. All really is well.