[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Google doodles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    May 07, 2018

Teacher Appreciation Week Begins!

Happy US Teacher Appreciation Week 2018!

This week aims to cast a special spotlight on educators who have and continue to dedicate their lives to the intellectual and personal development of students across the nation. Created in partnership with all 55 2018 US State Teachers of the Year, today’s Doodle explores the theme: “What does it mean to be a teacher?”

We’ve invited one of our Doodle collaborators, 2018 Ohio Teacher of the Year Jonathan Juravich, to share a bit more about his story, what this theme means to him, and his experience working on the Doodle!

One of my first teachers was my grandmother, Josie. She was bright, kind, and creative. She was also blind. She taught me empathy and tenderness and how our relationships with others often define our identities. Because of our connection, I always felt a kinship with Helen Keller. A few years ago, I was asked to find a quote that defined my professional and personal life, and I offered this one attributed to her: “I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.”

The lessons learned with my grandmother have shaped the art educator I am today. Teaching is about forming genuine relationships built on mutual respect. I’ve often found the small day-to-day moments are where we can have the biggest impact. I challenge my students to find ways to quietly shine each day: greeting others with smiles and warm hellos, respectfully listening to other people’s stories, and coming to school open to ideas and perspectives. I hope by being a part of my classroom that students are challenged to live their lives with enthusiastic, empathetic resilience through tough times and small tasks alike. The results can inspire others when least expected.

This past fall of 2017, I was named the 2018 Ohio Teacher of the Year. In January, the 55 State Teachers of the Year met for the very first time at Google headquarters. We were there to learn about our role within our states, develop our advocate voices, and bond as a supportive network of professionals. During that time, we also had the incredible opportunity to work on the US Teacher’s Appreciation Week Doodle! As an art educator, I visit Google’s homepage every morning just to see what beautiful work of art might be awaiting the world. I believe the power of visual art can connect us all.

During the workshop, teachers were broken off into 5 groups and tasked to develop concepts for each of the individual letters of Google, while processing what it means to be a teacher. What a huge question with endless possibilities! The groups brainstormed, sketched, and developed their plans for their letter, much like what my students and I do every day in my art room.

When our time was up, each group shared their ideas. The teachers spoke of connections, the search for answers, and the resulting new inquiries. We discussed the journey we take with our students as they process who they are and their place within the world. Being a teacher is about those relational connections, telling our students “I am here with you. Let’s do this together.”

This is what I hope the world takes away from this Doodle. That as teachers, we are a part of the quest for discovery. That we are there to guide, to encourage and to support our students as unique individuals. That this journey is one that is full of challenges, but also joy.

The Doodle ends with that little E graduating… but that is not where our students’ stories end. I hope our students know, both in moments great and small, that we will continue to support and celebrate them into their futures.

Happy Teacher’s day to the incredible educators who inspire the future change-makers of the world!

-Jonathan Juravich, 2018 Ohio Teacher of the Year
    Art Educator, Liberty Tree Elementary School
    Last edited by 9A; 05-06-2024 at 06:34 AM.