[REMOVE ADS]

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    The Elephant Vanishes - Haruki Murakami

A collection of stories about parallel realities from one of the greatest living writers. Give this man a Nobel already!

Hunger: A Memoir of [My] Body - Roxane Gay

A chronicle of the author's struggle to accept and understand her relationship with and emotional uses for food. Gut-wrenching.
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-18-2024 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

A big fan of architecture. Alden Dow studied with Frank Lloyd Wright at Taliesin.
    Is this where some guy went nuts and killed a woman and children? Or am I mixing up my architects?

Sans I think I read this, but can't remember. Saw the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks - Jeanne Theoharis

Attachment 21104
    She was not some hapless, unwitting seamstress who one day got tired on a Jim Crow bus but a fierce, tireless civil rights tactician and organizer many years before her storied arrest and for decades afterward. This biography explodes the myths and illuminates her life and work.
    I thought I read this too, but it's also a documentary, so maybe I only saw the doc. Sans you're killing the reading game. I used to read a ton of books. The internet has zapped a lot of my attention span. You've inspired me to get back into reading an actual book. Give my eyes a rest from the laptop screen.

Picked this one up the other day.

The Hardest Deal of All: the Battle Over School Integration In Mississippi, 1870-1980 by Charles C. Bolton.

I'm on the second page of the Introduction and already I'm engrossed.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I thought I read this too, but it's also a documentary, so maybe I only saw the doc. Sans you're killing the reading game. I used to read a ton of books. The internet has zapped a lot of my attention span. You've inspired me to get back into reading an actual book. Give my eyes a rest from the laptop screen.
    RanRan! Thrilled that you're over here and happy to hear it! I've got to investigate your current read--sounds like a personal must.

Until I Am Free: Fannie Lou Hamer's Enduring Message to America - Keisha N. Blain

Part biography, part manifesto, this book frames the legendary civil rights strategist's life, words and vision as a blueprint for the struggles of today.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Is this where some guy went nuts and killed a woman and children? Or am I mixing up my architects?
    You must be thinking of Frank Lloyd Wright's groundskeeper. Alden Dow studied under Frank Lloyd Wright. Different architects.

Girl, Woman, Other - Bernardine Evaristo

A symphony of twelve Black British women's stories intertwined into one magnificent, smart, rambunctious novel.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-29-2024 at 12:13 PM.

Invisible Things- Mat Johnson

A dystopian novel about a NASA team which, on the first expedition to Jupiter, discovers a parallel society plagued with rank inequality, xenophobia and dissension.
    Last edited by sansradio; 06-10-2024 at 06:57 AM.

Love Brought Me Back: A Journey of Loss and Gain - Natalie Cole with David Ritz

Five years before her death, the singer released this memoir chronicling her kidney transplant journey, which happened simultaneously as her own sister Cooke was dying. Super-poignant to read now.