Well back to original topic, I've a different take on Cindy's statement to the fan club. Perhaps she was just saying that to give impression to the fans that the group was still a big deal in show business and had a lot going on, when in truth they were slipping fast. Not too long afterwards they were doing opening act gigs in Vegas, performing to empty or near empty rooms when they did headline, and no longer appearing whatsoever on variety shows, but rather [[in US at least) daytime and late night talk shows and Bandstand and Soul Train. Wasn't Sonny and Cher All I Want performance their last US variety show guest slot?

A lot of publicity and image of Supremes was of the aspirational and material success kind. Look at the liner notes Mary supposedly wrote for the 75 album talking about the Supremes being the #1 Female singing group for the last 15 years. And decades later Mary would give interviews in advance of local oldies show gig talking about how she was about to release her new album, or her coffee table book was about to be published. All was said for publicity sake just to make her career more exciting and happening that what it really was--she was working steadily as a live performer on the oldies circuit. I think Cindy's statement about an imminent Variety show falls into the same PR strategy.

And to be fair, lots of performers who are no longer as big as they once were resort such Public relations tactics to maintain the image, either for their own ego protection, and/or to make the die hard fans feel better.