Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
I hope one of my nieces or nephews would want some of it...I have 13 of them...perhaps 2-3 would want some of it....I was much younger than my siblings...they were 16-24 yrs older than me, so I was raised with their kids....10 of the 13 are within 10 years of my age....I was the COOL uncle.

my entire life will probably wind up in a dumpster...I'm 65, single, childless...3 of my 4 older siblings are gone, my 3 closest friends were 15 years older than me and they are gone too..I live in a area of NYC that got very congested and changed for the worse...so gradually everyone left moved to more suburban area's...there aren't even that many people left to reminisce with....

Things that were important for us to own don't matter much to other people...I have older family members that died with collections of expensive dining room furniture, nic nacks and leaded crystal, Capo D' Monte', all that "crap" italian women liked to collect in the 50's/60's...even 2nd hand shop dealers offered pennies a piece...the younger generation is more practical and will spend their $ on maintenance and life experiences ...and many don't want to own any type of music...it's all electronically available....I have been a ebay seller for 30 years...my generations music has slowed way down selling...forget about most stuff from before Elvis....also, if a older LP is finally released on CD, the market floods with used vinyl copies...most people just want the music. they don't care if its vinyl, cd, or download.
Well, you still have the DRATS ghetto to reminisce with!

You're right about collections [of anything]. You have to find that needle in a haystack person who wants your collection, otherwise you'll be lucky if it ends up at a large secondhand music dealer who at least doesn't put it in the trash. They are still around, but the cost of everything is quickly pricing used media out of the market. And eBay seller fees and general headache have led to people to stop selling there. These odd dynamics mean that there is a surplus of CDs, vinyl, memorabilia, but no reasonably profitable way to sell it or connect with a shrinking number of buyers. I still marvel at the fact that every time the Andrews Sisters' Boogie Boogie Bugle Boy Decca single on shellac hits eBay people pay exorbitant prices for it. Its everywhere! Why pay so much? Can't find it. LOL!