[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    O.K. I did not mean to suggest that Jazz was dead after the late 70's. It's just that although I do have some Nneena Freelon and
    others that were mentioned ,[[including 5 Regina Carter CD's borrowed from my lil brother who is deep into "Contemporary Jazz"), "Contemporary Jazz" after the late 70's just does not move me the same way material after 78-79 does compared to the
    Classics. [[Here is where I'm gonna duck and hide for cover ,but let me explain) My father who is 80 years old praise God , was a Bopper in his teens and young adulthood. He is the reason that although I was born in 1955 I was turned on to Dizzy ,Ellington,Armstrong,Ella, Billie,Basie and Sarah in sub-counsious state. Around about 59 at the age of 5 they made scence to me in another way and MILE'S "Kind Of Blue" opened me up to Cannonball ,Coltrane,Jimmy Smith, Hammond, Shirley Scott,Montgomery Bros, Getz,Blakey,Roy Brown,Mingus,Billy Taylor,Nancy Wilson,Dinah Washington,Lester Young,Herbie Mann etc etc. That's true jazz to me. That's where I go to get off on Jazz. And in my minds eye there was Jazz [[my Dads music) and there was my music ,"R&B", and as I grew older , the two eventually melded together in some sort. The Jazz got more R&B "ish", with the electrics and versions of Jazzed up R&B songs. Contemporary jazz just became "straight no chaser to straight with ice and finally straight with ice and water. I'm not taking away any credit for the talent of the current "Contemporary Jazz" artist's by any means. But personally ,I likes my Jazz like I likes my Funk. I likes my Funk and Jazz Uncut. I have taken notice of the names yall have dropped however and will check them out.

splanky;;; I finally got a copy of that Basie album with the mushroom cloud on it and guess what one of the tracks is titled??
    Last edited by daddyacey; 11-14-2011 at 04:12 AM.