Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
Re Van's work with Gladys and the Pips, I am a big fan of their Maxx album. It took years for me to get a copy. In the meantime, I bought a cd collection that contained most of the album. I really enjoyed GIVING UP, EITHER WAY I LOSE, and STOP AND GET AHOLD OF MYSELF. But I really love the group's 1970 remake of GIVING UP.

Their work with Van during the Buddah years was great as well. I have fond memories of BABY DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND as it reminds me of that summer of 1977. I spent it down South with my grandparents and they played this record incessantly. Gladys hasn't performed it in the US in years, although she still performs it in the UK as it was a big hit there. It took years before I was able to buy the STILL TOGETHER album. While I do find the album only so so [as I do most of their Buddah albums], I did enjoy HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS and LITTLE BIT OF LOVE.

Van's productions of WHAT IF I SHOULD EVER NEED YOU, BE YOURSELF, and COME BACK AND FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED on their THE ONE AND ONLY album are also favorites.
Reese, I, too, love all of the tracks that you mentioned! Aretha also recorded "What If I Should Ever Need You" -- a beautiful Charles Kipps tune.