[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross--Missing You Live 2023

The backing singers carry the song which is much the same as when I saw her last year. The sections she does sing are ok, if a little tentative.

She mentions Tina, Mary, Michael and all the Tempts- I think she says except Otis Williams

She mentions Mary but leaves out Florence?????

I will be attacked for this I'm sure but these clips break my heart. She is barely singing, keeps playing with her hair and looking over her shoulder at her band just looking completely unrehearsed.

She's a legend. I'm sure she has a huge payroll at this time in her life but for Diana I'd wish her lounging by the ocean on a tropical island enjoying the fruits of her labor instead of appearing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    She mentions Mary but leaves out Florence?????

I will be attacked for this I'm sure but these clips break my heart. She is barely singing, keeps playing with her hair and looking over her shoulder at her band just looking completely unrehearsed.

She's a legend. I'm sure she has a huge payroll at this time in her life but for Diana I'd wish her lounging by the ocean on a tropical island enjoying the fruits of her labor instead of appearing like this.
    Lol. She keeps looking back saying/wondering why the screen isn’t working. Has nothing to do with being unrehearsed. Her team has put forth a visually exciting show. Of course she is wondering why it’s not working during this song.
    Last edited by khansperac; 06-17-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    She mentions Tina, Mary, Michael and all the Tempts- I think she says except Otis Williams
    and Marvin Gaye .
    Overdue in mentioning Mary Wilson, but wise to do so , she'd have been criticized if she had called out Tina along with the others and not Mary.

I was moved by this. She's quite a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Lol. She keeps looking back saying/wondering why the screen isn’t working. Has nothing to do with being unrehearsed. Her team has put forth a visually exciting show. Of course she is wondering why it’s not working during this song.
    I am sorry, but professionals don’t get flustered or lost when a prop doesn’t work. She looks super old and out of her element.

It also looks like her vocals were pre-recorded and she just occasionally sings along. I also don’t think she sings live to I’m Coming Out. To my ears, the vocals heard are the original track from 42 years ago.

And for Pete’s sake, why is she always telling her small band to play more quietly? Those downward hand motions are so distracting, and maybe that is why she does them. Hmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-17-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Flustered? Lost? Lol.

It's probably much harder to try to coordinate fake singing and the accompanying live vocal help than just belting it out.

But yes the video is important to the song because its showing the people she's reflecting on, so she's flustered. ....
    what the heck is that fake horn blast at 2:09

I like that at the beginning she chuckles, "I'll stop it if I can't go too far, or make Freddie sing it with me "

also today's crowds get restless. Its not enough to just sing a song anymore, you have to have visuals : overstated lighting, busy videos, thirty five dancers, and some pyrotechnics thrown in always helps. The performer's not really always singing but who cares ....

To expect a crowd to just shut up and listen to a song's lyrics doesn't cut it anymore.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-17-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post

The screens are on here and she says missing you Mary and missing you Florence at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LrydQfyDMs

Yeah, there's a pre recorded if not the original vocal track being played and she sometimes sings live with it. It's glaring when she's talking and yet you can also hear her singing voice. Same issue when I saw her last fall and why I decided that's it, not going to see her again. I'm not angered or saddened by it, I just don't care to see such performances. But the audience is enjoying it and it looks like she still gets a kick out of entertaining an audience and she's doing what she has to given where she is now in life.

It is easy to sing live to prerecorded music, but what is the technology that allows for prerecorded vocals to be played in synch with live music?

It is easy to see this technology in the above Missing You clip, but not sure how it is done. When she did speak over the prerecorded vocals, her live mic was turned down so low it was almost impossible to hear.

When I saw her live in Brooklyn about 7 years ago, she made her grand entrance from the back of the theater running full steam down the aisle and up the stairs to the stage “singing” I’m Coming Out without missing a beat or being vocally winded. She then went directly into the next song. I wondered how this 70+ year old woman can do this. Now, I know.

And, what happened in Glastonbury that this technology failed and only her live vocals could be heard?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-17-2023 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    It is easy to sing live to prerecorded music, but what is the technology that allows for prerecorded vocals to be played in synch with live music?
    I guess it's just as easy to play live music to a pre-recorded voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    And, what happened in Glastonbury that this technology failed and only her live vocals could be heard?
    Good question Circa. Myself and other were literally wincing at how dreadfully off-key she sounded during Glastonbury. If ever her vocals needed a huge slice of help it was then.
    Now that I've watched this clip a couple of times i can see it’s just pre-recorded vocals with minimal live singing. A situation reviewers have failed to notice or reluctant to acknowledge.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-18-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I guess it's just as easy to play live music to a pre-recorded voice.
    I believe you're on to something .... I think the discussion shifts from asking how much is fake [not live] to how little isn't?
    Is everybody on stage faking It??

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post

for instance , you can hear the chimes being sprinkled at the start with no one visibly playing them @ :22 and :27, so it can be assumed its a keyboard generated sound from a keyboardist on stage. But then once the percussionist is better prepared at 1:12 he makes it appear it is he making the sound. Keyboardist, percussionist?..... Neither?

All pre-taped ??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-21-2023 at 12:50 AM.