Gary, it could well have been noticed at the time, but maybe no-one then alerted whoever was administering Motown copyright?

As with all our lives....while we often think about something, then doing something about it can be a quite different matter haha

[Thought for the Day: "It is never too late to be what you might have been"]

Which reminds me of something I had not thought about in decades, regarding misrepresentation....

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, my sister borrowed an album from a friend.....by a reggae artist, and which featured Motown songs.

There was something plainly wrong with it. I can't remember just now if the title and lyrics were correct, but other songwriter names were being credited....or different lyrics were being used.

Whatever it was, I went to the reference library and found the relevant address for Motown copyright here in the UK, and wrote straight away.

Received a prompt response, commenting that they had checked, were in full agreement, and expressing their thanks for bringing it to their attention.

They confirmed they would ensure that any royalties would now be directed to the correct parties, and thanked me again.

There may perhaps have been subsequent legal action....