Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
I'm not trying to derail this topic - but you had 5 guys in and out of the Temptations within a year. That's what I call a group in turmoil. The worst for the Supremes was having the JML lineup last a year and a half and then Jean and Lynda leaving. At least one of the replacements, Cindy, was a familiar face fans and the public knew so it wasn't like two brand new people in the group. In many ways, Cindy returning brought back legitimacy and connection to the 60s era. Yes, the Supremes were changing lineups every few years but so were many other bands and groups of that time, many like the Temptations were doing it far more often than the ladies were and yet no one says a thing about those groups/bands.
I agree with you, Brad. The Temptations were definitely more of a revolving door than the Supremes ever were. I think that perception was a lot of Motown's doing because originally the group were 3 identifiable personalities with Diana, Mary and Flo. When it became DRATS, Cindy replaced Flo and the group really was just a launching pad for Diana's inevitable solo career. When the Supremes rebranded with Jean, Mary and Cindy it no longer became 3 identifiable personalities. It became more of who are these Supremes and where is Diana? Motown played a big part of just making the Supremes all about Diana and it made the general public feel "who are these 3 girls?". That was never the way Motown handled the Temps. You had more shared leads and when David left it didn't become who are they because he was not pushed as the identity of the Temps. The Supremes really did not have that much of a personnel change as the Temps did. I agree Cindy returning when Lynda left should have made it easier because she, like Mary-the Original- were identifiable and well known. The perception of a revolving door of unknown singers lies with Motown and their inability to turn the focus away from that perception.