[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    it is my personal belief that Cindy would not have come back to the group because Scherrie would have joined Mary and Lynda. I suspect the reason why Cindy was invited to return was out of desperation as Mary knew that Cindy had some limitations vocally and personality wise making her less fun on stage.
    I believe it has been mentioned on here previously but the plan was Lynda was going to stay and Cindy was going to come back. If Lynda stayed on, Scherrie would have never brought in. This whole period has been murky as most of us had been under the assumption that Lynda and Jean left at the same time and for the same reasons but recently we're learning more about what really happened. Lynda's departure wasn't necessarily because Jean left. Each had their own reasons although some of it was the same. I'm not entirely sure myself how long after Jean left did Lynda decided to leave but I know it wasn't at the same time.

August - Jean leaves the group.

August thru October - Mary asks Cindy to return. She does. Lynda is going to take on lead duties. Things fall through as she cannot come to agreement on a deal. I believe she asked for a share in the Supremes stake and more money if she was going to be doing lead duties plus Mary was beginning to bring Pedro into the picture - I don't know the details at the moment on what went down but she decides to leave. In this time, Mary auditions several ladies - Shelly Clark and Leola Jiles being two we know. Jiles claims she got the spot but her manager at the time, Dick Glasser, made all sorts of demands from Motown including percentage of cut of the deal and production responsibilities which effectively ended her chances of becoming a Supreme as Mary and Motown were not going for any of it. Out of desperation, Mary calls Lamont Dozier for suggestions and he mentions Scherrie. We know the story from here...

October - Scherrie is hired, learns the live show within a week and the new lineup does their first gig at the Arizona State Fair in Phoenix on October 31st.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 07-29-2022 at 10:56 AM.