[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    honest man Guest
    When you think of it the poor supremes got lots of leftovers -covers 1 CWC AND POP 2 SAM COOKE 3 BIT OF LIVERPOOL4MORE HITS [LOVERS CONCERTO YESTERDAY ETC]5 AGO GO 6 HDH7 FUNNY GIRL8 ROGERS AND HART 2 ALBUMS WITH THE TEMPTATIONS,even DIANA was given covers for her first solo A'INT NO MOUNTAIN-THESE THINGS WILL KEEP etc.And to hear some of the former motown people say they were given seconds,especially Martha not bad considering DRATS had to cover some of her songs which they did a good job on makes me wonder if the trio really were given top treatment,not trying to start anything just that some of this thread has got me thinking,please keep this thread on track,cheers.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    When you think of it the poor supremes got lots of leftovers -covers 1 CWC AND POP 2 SAM COOKE 3 BIT OF LIVERPOOL4MORE HITS [LOVERS CONCERTO YESTERDAY ETC]5 AGO GO 6 HDH7 FUNNY GIRL8 ROGERS AND HART 2 ALBUMS WITH THE TEMPTATIONS,even DIANA was given covers for her first solo A'INT NO MOUNTAIN-THESE THINGS WILL KEEP etc.And to hear some of the former motown people say they were given seconds,especially Martha not bad considering DRATS had to cover some of her songs which they did a good job on makes me wonder if the trio really were given top treatment,not trying to start anything just that some of this thread has got me thinking,please keep this thread on track,cheers.

I think cover songs was just something that was common during that period. Didn't the Beatles cover two or three Motown songs on their very first album? I don't think it was anything unusual. All the Motown artist did cover versions of some songs. I think the Supreme's did all those theme type albums because Berry wanted to show off their versality. Stevie, Marvin, The Tops, The Temps all did theme albums to show off their versality and to broaden their appeal outside of just the soul/r&b markets. Berry Gordy knew what he was doing.

I personally love many of the Motown artists' covers of other popular songs. Some songs practically became standards overnight, such as "Yesterday," and were done by almost every Motown artist it seems. I think back in the day it was a treat to hear different artists perform hits by other singers.

I don't think of the concept albums as throwaways either, though some of them definitely seemed thrown together overnight, and from what I've heard of the Disney album I think it was wise not to release it.

On the other hand, some of Motown's artists covering other Motown artists' songs became a little excessive. Of course, that was a win-win for the company in many ways: please the fans, pay no licensing or royalties to outside folks, and even reuse some prerecorded tracks! Some of the covers, still, are outstanding. The tracks mentioned that the Marvelettes recorded of Supremes' songs to me are all excellent, Gladys Knight's and Marvin Gaye's versions of other Motown material usually outstanding, and then there's all the Norman Whitfield groups who seemed to always record each other's material, almost immediately. Still, I think my all time favorite of a Motown artist covering a Motown tune by someone else is Yvonne Fair's "It Should Have Been Me."

Okay, end of lecture!
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.

A personal favorite of mine is Stevie Wonder's cover of the Beatles "We Can Work It Out". Mary Wilson use to open her shows with it. I loved her live version also.

"The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart" is definitely not a throwaway album. In my opinion, I think it's the best album the 60's Supremes recorded. The vocals, the arrangements, and the orchestrations are top notch.

honest man Guest
    Good Morning people, yes there were some good covers by DRATS and all the other motown artists,the best SUPREMES Covers i think were STEVIE'S I HEAR A SYMPHONY 2 MY WORLD IS EMPTY.Would love to hear 4 TOPS TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS [ROCK ME]MARVELETTES TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS AND LOVE ME Imagine.Would love to compile a DRATS Compilation in recording order ie[blowin' in the wind,love makes me do foolish things]belong in 66-67 instead of 68-69 and such,there are so many songs we now have with all the expanded albums,lost and found,25th anniversary,pink anthology etc,would be a great compilation withevery song in it's correct place,anyone want to start and maybe we can add as we go along.any offers, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Would love to compile a DRATS Compilation in recording order ie[blowin' in the wind,love makes me do foolish things]belong in 66-67 instead of 68-69 and such,there are so many songs we now have with all the expanded albums,lost and found,25th anniversary,pink anthology etc,would be a great compilation withevery song in it's correct place,anyone want to start and maybe we can add as we go along.any offers, cheers.
    That's a great idea! There are clearly people here who are really smart/informed about actual recording dates so I hope it can come together.