[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Only in Rossland would Reflections be a failure

It’s listed here at sales of 750000 -not too shabby

https://www.greasylake.org/the-circu...a-album-sales/

All you have to do is consider the source , it’s an incredible Ross album and the sales are proof by no means a failure

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Only in Rossland would Reflections be a failure

It’s listed here at sales of 750000 -not too shabby

https://www.greasylake.org/the-circu...a-album-sales/
    Of course we have to take online reports of record sales with a grain of salt.

Not just Rossland, any major artist that is holding steady in the top 10 consecutively will see anything that fails to reach the top 10 labeled as a "failure". I've seen million selling albums considered failures because their predecessors sold multi millions and then said album only sells one million. That's just the business. Diana isn't special in this.

These are worldwide sales that include re-issues and such. At the time of it's release I don't think Reflections hit the 200K sales mark. More like 125K to 150K. Still a good seller just not what the group was used to.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    These are worldwide sales that include re-issues and such. At the time of it's release I don't think Reflections hit the 200K sales mark. More like 125K to 150K. Still a good seller just not what the group was used to.
    yeah and that's sort of the curious point here. 1967 had built on an equally strong 1966. 66 had 2 top 10 singles and 2 #1 plus the first #1 album. 67 had 2 #1 and 2 top 10s plus a top 10 album and Greatest Hits which was massive.

Reflections certainly performed well enough. it performed great compared to albums by other groups. but after these great sales in 66 and 67, it was a let down i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah and that's sort of the curious point here. 1967 had built on an equally strong 1966. 66 had 2 top 10 singles and 2 #1 plus the first #1 album. 67 had 2 #1 and 2 top 10s plus a top 10 album and Greatest Hits which was massive.

Reflections certainly performed well enough. it performed great compared to albums by other groups. but after these great sales in 66 and 67, it was a let down i'm sure.
    Like someone mentioned earlier, Motown waited too long to issue the Reflections album. The trip-up was that Motown originally intended "Reflections" to be issued on Greatest Hits. With it being pulled and held over for an album of its own, Motown released Greatest Hits in August 1967 and it dominated in sales and charts - staying in the top 10 for 24 weeks and well into the spring of 1968. Motown issuing another Supremes album to compete too soon would have hurt sales for both. They did wait too long though. A December/January release may have been the better option, but many tracks like "Forever Came Today" and "Bah-Bah-Bah" weren't complete. Motown could have easily substituted them with "Heaven Must Have Sent You" or "Stay In My Lonely Arms" if they were looking for other completed HDH tracks. But then you have to factor in Florence and HDH's departures. They really were in a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Like someone mentioned earlier, Motown waited too long to issue the Reflections album. The trip-up was that Motown originally intended "Reflections" to be issued on Greatest Hits. With it being pulled and held over for an album of its own, Motown released Greatest Hits in August 1967 and it dominated in sales and charts - staying in the top 10 for 24 weeks and well into the spring of 1968. Motown issuing another Supremes album to compete too soon would have hurt sales for both. They did wait too long though. A December/January release may have been the better option, but many tracks like "Forever Came Today" and "Bah-Bah-Bah" weren't complete. Motown could have easily substituted them with "Heaven Must Have Sent You" or "Stay In My Lonely Arms" if they were looking for other completed HDH tracks. But then you have to factor in Florence and HDH's departures. They really were in a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation.
    good point - GH was released in August and hit #1 in late Oct. was at 1 for 5 weeks and in the top 10 for 22 weeks. it was clearly THE motown album for the holiday season. I can only imagine how many teens and kids and fans found it under the tree that year. That puts it at March 68 when it was finally starting to creep out of the top 10. and given that it was 2 discs, the price was much higher than the 1 disc for Reflections. so the $ was really coming in from that release.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Good points, though a Reflections album minus “Bah Bah Bah” is unthinkable. One of my faves on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Good points, though a Reflections album minus “Bah Bah Bah” is unthinkable. One of my faves on the album.
    Mine too. Great and very forward-looking track.