Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I've always loved the 'Everything' album, although I agree the title song is a little much and really needed better lyrics. But to me, the debut album is too much of a "one note" album, and I think suffers from too many songs that sound alike. To me several tracks on the album, "Can't it Wait Until Tomorrow," "Where There Was Darkness," and "Dark Side of the World," just seem like reworkings of the same song structure and melody.

I think Gordy was trying too hard to make a Barbra Streisand album. Everything about the debut album seems to want to remind you how important it is. I find it dull.

I agree timing of the "Everything" release didn't make any sense, but I still enjoy it is an album which contains a lot of versatility.
I disagree. The debut album benefits from having the brilliant team of A & S writing and producing virtually all the songs. It was more about making quality, adult orientated music as opposed to stick a bit of everything on and hope something sticks. It’s a far more cohesive sounding album then EIE, and along with ‘Surrender’ will always be considered one of her best. For some, the light and bright EIE album might have made for a welcome change of pace, but it inevitably pales when compared to the sheer quality of the two A & S produced albums.
IMO of course.