[REMOVE ADS]

Meatloaf & Stoney Motown collection on cd preorder available

It would be interesting to know how many [what percentage of SDF members] have EVER heard a song by this duo. I know I never have nor have I ever heard one on the radio or rarely have I ever heard any mention of them. Guess I am in the minority??????????

Pretty obscure stuff, Woodward. Give them a listen when you can. They really are remarkable together.

I first heard them on the Complete Motown Singles Collection and loved it. Downloaded the album and pre-ordered the CD.

Obscure but great!!

I don’t think any of Stoney & Meatloaf's recordings were released on CD [[or digitally) until the Complete Motown Singles sets.

"The Key To The Kingdom" CD released 1995 included Stoney & Meatloaf's "I'd Love To Be As Heavy As Jesus"

314 520 032 2
    The Key To The Kingdom
    Various Artists
    Polygram Special Markets CD

Track listing
    01 Hey Lordy - Bobby Taylor
    02 Sinner Man - Valerie Simpson
    03 May His Love Shine Forever - The Supremes
    04 God Bless The Child - Blinky
    05 Bridge Over Troubled Water - Jackson 5
    06 [[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus - Stoney & Meatloaf
    07 What A Friend We Have In Jesus - Impact of Brass with Joe Hinton
    08 Jesus is The Key - Ken Christie & The Sunday People
    09 There Is A God - Valerie Simpson
    10 God Is Love - Marvin Gaye
    11 How Great Thou Art - Gladys Knight & The Pips

Cover here - https://www.discogs.com/release/1148...To-The-Kingdom
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-19-2022 at 06:42 AM.

And their "What You See Is What You Get" and "It Takes All Kinds Of People" were inclued in the Reader's Digest Ultimate Motown Collection "Soul Mates" in 2006.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-hi8T83-fpUsnR

Each box set had 3 CDs
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57639293039323
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-19-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Ah, there you go! Thanks mystery

I'm with Wooodward. Never thought of Meatloaf in a Motown context. But I am intrigued by this Reader's Digest series. I assume that none of those are readily available anywhere unless you happen to catch an old version here and there, right?

The Reader's Digest box sets can be picked up very cheaply on Amazon and Ebay and some can be found unopened [[so new). Like everything else there are also the price gougers who ask rediculous sums but generally expec to pay £2 to £6 per fat box. Of course I'm talking about the UK here.

Oo's Meatloaf and Stoney?

12. Stoney and Meatloaf

Thanks, Ralph! It'll be interesting for sure on how the re-release of Stoney and Meatloaf will be received!
    Last edited by Shaun Murphy (Stoney); 03-19-2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...

It will be interesting, Stoney. All somewhat surreal.

Seems like it will be a revelation for Meatloaf fans, Stoney fans, and even many Motown fans.

Harry Balk used to say that in the music business you never knew what was coming. How right he always was. Another person I wish was here for the drop.

Until very recently, I had no idea the Meatloaf of "Stoney & Meatloaf" was indeed THE Meat Loaf [Rest In Peace]. I found their album and I really like the sound of it. I would never have guessed Meat Loaf began his music career as a Motown alumnus, albeit of the later sort, but still a Motown alumnus, nonetheless.

DJ, glad you got it figured out. Only room for one Meatloaf, and Russ and I brought him to Motown.