Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
While it would've been great to have Florence Ballard back in The Supremes, let's not forget that she was still very angry with Berry Gordy for putting the spotlight on Diana Ross during The Supremes' peak years and for ousting Flo from the group. I don't think there's anyway she'd want to work with Berry again after all that happened.
By 1970, Florence was near-broke and no record companies were interested. She had to do something. By the time Floy Joy came out, the writing was on the wall for JMC. They were doing split bills, album sales were dismal ass more attempts to pair the group with the four tops. Clearly the general public had not embraced the new group, only a few singles.

I truly believe in my heart that, had Gordy come to Florence after a four year cooling off period, they may have come to an understanding that would’ve been mutually beneficial. I am absolutely not suggesting that Florence would take over as lead singer because she didn’t have the chops for that. What Florence could bring to the group was, in someways, more important than what a lead singer could bring to the group: charisma and star power. Flo had it and both she and Gordy knew it. Putting Florence in the group when Cindy left, may have brought back disenfranchised fans and, perhaps subtracted new ones. She still could’ve sang a few leads, more rollicking rhythm and blues numbers but the majority would still wisely go to Jean.