Sup, I'd argue that all of those things you list for the 60s Supremes were the result of their massive hits. The DRATS period, which wasn't nearly as prolific hit wise as the Flo period, benefitted from the presence of Diana Ross. DRATS was the test run for Diana solo star, so Gordy pulled out all the stops. He made sure she [[and by association, Mary and Cindy) were on television all the time, hit or no hit. The TV specials were centered around Diana also. The truth is that the character of the group was certainly different with Diana and without. Booking them anywhere was never going to be a problem.

That first year of Jean, it appears the Supremes were as busy as they always were. They did TV and concerts. They had two big pop hits, a #1 r&b tune. I'm of the opinion that the post "Stoned Love" singles just didn't have enough elements to make them instant classics. As much as I may love them, there's always something missing to my ears, and I suspect the public felt the same way. They got good responses to stuff like "Nathan" and "Floy", but they needed a "Want Ads" or an "I'll Be There" to keep the group red hot. Add to that the fact that Gordy was no longer their biggest fan. We can argue all day long whether or not Motown the label dropped the ball with their support, but there should be no question that Gordy turned his main attention to Diana Ross, and to a lesser extent the J5, and didn't bother with the Supremes again. Without him eating and sleeping and living the Supremes, they probably didn't stand a real chance of sustaining what had been achieved in the 60s. No one at Motown had more power than Gordy. Had he kept the same attention to them as he did when Diana was in the group, I believe wholeheartedly that the 70s Supremes story would be different. Without that attention, the Supremes were the new Martha and the Vandellas [[and thus, Martha and the Vs were now the new Marvelettes). Loyal fans, loyal DJs, still kept the group afloat, but the days of being on top were over. And without the massive hits, there wasn't anything news worthy associated with the group.