Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
i agree that the MSC and MSS lineups were excellent. but not necessarily 100% of the time. and moreso with MSS. in the studio they were, quite frankly, one of the strongest lineups. their 3 part harmonies on Love I Never Knew are rocking. Susaye's echo lead with Mary on We Should be Closer - stunning. and the entire Sweet Dream Machine song is magic.

things shifted sometimes when live. not 100% of the time but sometimes.

My World is empty - this is amazing. Scherrie is smoldering and M and S do flawless octave work in the background. and the final note "without YOUUUUUUUUUUU" is perfect

Maybe this time - another excellent live track. while you could debate that by 77 it might ahve been a bit too old of a song, they are great. even on the Caesar's bootleg where the overall show and run was very poorly received [[especially the sloppy hits medley in the uni-dress) the audience applauds loud and full after this one

Let yourself go - ok this is where things get a bit rough. and this is one of my fav Sup songs ever! at least the studio version is. on the record, there's an echo effect when they sing the chorus - Let Yoursellf Go-o-o-o-o-o-o. For the shows they seems to attempt to replicate this by singing "go" again and again and all over the place. they also add so many woo's, yeah's, oww's during the main verses of the song [[which were not on the studio version) that when they do the ending with all of the ad libs, the effect is sort of lost. the ending on the record has them really let loose and party. but live they've been all over the place throughout the song so the overall impact is less.

ad libs in general - there's a LOT of different ad libs going on through the MSS songs in the stage act. sometimes less is more. Also for all 3 women to be doing it, makes it a challenge to know what's going on where and with whom

excess choreography and tempos - they took these songs on stage as a breakneck pace. like Let Yourself Go. plus they have heavy, intricate choreography. and on top of that they were doing lots of 3-part harmonies. the problem is they are literally breathless and that makes the whole thing sound manic
Yes, I agree with you that there were times when they weren't 100%. Certainly that is true [[I don't particularly care for Lynda's performance below). My point was, much like Milven stated, they did have very good harmonies and performed very well together. My gripe was with the trolls who often summarily dismiss anything by MSC or MSS as "screeching".