Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
I don't know anything about first or second soprano. But I do know that I like harmony and when it is done right, it almost sounds like one voice. You may have explained why I like this clip of MSC so much. Without notice and to their complete surprise- you can see the surprise on Mary's face - they had to sing the song acapella. They did a terrific job, and their harmony was glorious.

Milven, you really hit it with this example. This is exactly why I get so peeved when some people post about the later Supremes as somehow inferior. Some trollish posters like to write things like "screeching" or "hollering" when referring to MSC and MSS and it always makes me think less of the person writing that. Here we have Cindy, Mary, and Scherrie, caught completely off-guard, not ready to sing acapella and what do they do? Hit it right out of the park [[ring) with a moving rendition of a song that many other artists have run afoul of. It isn't as easy to sing as one might think. Imagine being in that ring, being told "no, we don't have the music" and then just belting it out any damn way. Every version of the Supremes were supreme. This is just a REALLY good example. Thanks Milven.