[REMOVE ADS]

Petula Dusty and Lesley Top Diana and Aretha

The Sirius Satellite Top 60 Female Singers of the 60’s has been released - voted by listeners. I can’t find a link for it but the Top 5 in order were Petula Clark, Dusty Springfield, Lesley Gore, the Supremes and Aretha Franklin.

At this point, we're lucky that people still know there were 1960s. Most people's memory timespan seems to start in 2000. Glad to see The Supremes there. Shoulda been #1 but I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The Sirius Satellite Top 60 Female Singers of the 60’s has been released - voted by listeners. I can’t find a link for it but the Top 5 in order were Petula Clark, Dusty Springfield, Lesley Gore, the Supremes and Aretha Franklin.
    I have no real problem with that but i am rather surprised and disappointed Miss Dionne Warwick is not higher up on the list.

Diana Ross was not a solo performer in the 1960's. As the top female group of the 1960's, The Supremes, without a doubt, hold the title of top female group beyond questioning.

I'm glad Lesley was recognized in the top 5 by the public today. I was a Lesley Gore fanatic long before I was a Motown fanatic. One of the first LP's I played repeatedly from my Mom's collection when I was around 10 years old was "It's My Party". Luckily I eventually got to meet her and have my record and a photo signed, one of my life's highlights.
    Darin

These lists and polls are always fungible; it's nice to see Petula, Dusty and Lesley get higher recognition.

Is there a list anywhere of these 60 artists?

I think it will only be published after they stream the show 50 times.

I heard most of the top 13 - Dionne was 8, Linda Ronstadt was 9 I think and Martha and the Vandellas were 13 - that’s about all I remember.

I just picked up from a second hand book shop aretha's autobiography with David Ritz.. looking forward to reading it

To see the incredible Shirley Bassey just barely crack the list is a little disappointing, but I realize that she appealed to a different demographic. She was primarily an album artist and live performer as opposed to a top 40 radio artist and I guess that explains it. But what a voice!!!