[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I've wondered this as well. My guess is Motown would have sent out Wanda and two new girls on the road as the Marvelettes to promote the album.

I've also wondered what if "Too Hurt To Cry" became a smash hit. Would Motown have revealed that it was the Marvelettes or grab a few singers and say here they are: The Darnells!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  21.1 KB
    According to the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper article, Toronto's Darnells had been signed as singing artists and recorded "Too Hurt To Cry", and we surmised that IF the Toronto group was actually used, after practising the song, the producers [[HDH?) weren't satisfied with the lead vocals, so, they got Gladys to sing the lead part, and perhaps, The Andantes added for sweetening, OR, that Gladys and The Andantes totally replaced the Toronto group.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  21.1 KB
    According to the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper article, Toronto's Darnells had been signed as singing artists and recorded "Too Hurt To Cry", and we surmised that IF the Toronto group was actually used, after practising the song, the producers [[HDH?) weren't satisfied with the lead vocals, so, they got Gladys to sing the lead part, and perhaps, The Andantes added for sweetening, OR, that Gladys and The Andantes totally replaced the Toronto group.
    Wow, robb K, I swore that when I was visiting my cousins the summer of "63 I saw a photo, in a record shop, of the Darnells, 2 girls, 2 guys for "Too Hurt To Cry" but when I bought the 45 in Miami, the Gordy 45 was in a plain brown case & I kept sayin that it sounds like Gladys of the Marvelettes & then over the years we KNEW it was Gladys.