Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
I'm not really a fan of the Supremes/Tops duets but each album does have its moments.

Re YOU GOTTA HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, I always wondered why towards the end, Levi basically disappears, leaving the vocals to Jean.
i think you could have made 1 really solid album out of all of the material. I appreciate that much of Return is at least original content, but frankly most of it is 2nd rate.

a fan once made a comment that YGHLIYH was originally intended for the Sups alone. no idea if this was true and there's no mention of it in the EE. Motown certainly had a habit of recording two full leads and then splicing things together to "create" a duet.

there are a few tunes on the duets that are barely duets. Love The One You're With is strictly a Jean lead with a choir of voices behind her. while it's definitely men and women in the background, who knows if it's the Tops and Sups. meanwhile Levi basically does all of Where Would I Be Without You Baby. jean sings 1 verse and then disappears

there's another interesting tidbit with YGHLIYH

in the released version, before they get to the "breakdown" and all, there's a high "wooo" in the backing vocals. in the new mix on the EE, that is missing and for the remainder of the song, it sounds like only the Tops on backing vocals. i can't hear any women singers. I've wondered if, when doing the EE version, the track with the Supremes' [[or the female backing singers, in case of it being nonSups) simply ends much earlier than the Tops' track.