Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
I agree with you. The 1983 album is one of my favorite ones.

To be fair, songs like "Love Will Make It Right", "Let's Go Up", "You Do It" and "Love Or Loneliness" are top quality recordings. They are among Diana's best 80's songs.

I also love "Pieces Of Ice". It is so atmospheric, artsy and contemporary for 1983. Not sure if it is lead single material, probably not...and I know the lyrics are a bit off. But I do love the song!!!!

"Upfront", I like the production, but I'm not crazy about the song. But I don't dislike either.

"That's How You Start Over" is a bit bland, like most of her previous RCA stuff, but I don't dislike it. It could have been better produced.

"Girls" is the only really weak song on the record.

As for "Holiday"... unfortunately, it would not fit the album!!!! I can see it on 1980's diana - it had "Have Fun [[Again)" - but not really in 1983's Ross. It doesn't go with the overall feel of the record.

But something interesting here is the analogy between Madonna and Diana's suitability for the same song. I always thought Madonna was some kind of Ross-reincarnation for radio. And I know Madonna was very inspired by Diana. Diana's voice is much better, for sure, and Miss Ross is a much better vocalist, but both have a very similar presence in pop/soul/dance records, perfectly suited for radio.
good assessment of the Ross 83 tracks.

overall i think the album is good. all of the songs are contemporary and fortunately she'd finally gotten over those nostalgia songs like So Close and Fools

my biggest complaint of the album were the lukewarm vocals. it's like she's singing at 80% rather than 100%. the opening [[That's How You Start Over) is an energetic track that was perfect for track 1. But Diana doesn't really come alive until the fade when she finally starts ad libbing and giving it some oomph.

Had she done that on some of the more up beat songs, then her more mellow reading of songs like Love Will Make It Right provides a lovely contrast. but without the peaks on the higher energy songs, it makes the whole album just never really go to that next level