Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
I think someone on here said earlier that none of us were there so none of us know exactly what went down between them. It's a shame Flo is not around to give the other side of the story. Diana was somewhat cordial after Diana left the Supremes I believe. I can even remember seeing pics and stories of Diana attending solo performances of Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong after the Supremes final exit. Now cordial may be a strong word for some but at least there were no hand pulling or shoving. I Remember Diana saying in her book that the behind the back had turned to in front of her face during her final year with the girls. I still say that most of this breakdown happen from the time of Mary's book to Motown 25 or at least that's what broke the camel's back. Also, I remember Diana being pissed over Mary writing about Flo being raped. I Still find it odd that through all this crap that Mary would want a reunion and say its all up to Diana. Also, as far as the stories from Tony Turner, none of those come close to reality.
Yeah, the book appears to be the point where the relationship became "irreparable". Even after Motown 25, and the Motown Apollo event, Diana and Mary got together for dinner with Mr. Ross. For either of them to move past the events of the night of the reunion appears to be indicative of their relationship for a long time. They each do things that piss the other off, but neither ever really addresses it and instead they keep their distance for awhile until something inside of them feels the need to connect, and then they do. That is until the book. At that point I think Diana felt like Mary had crossed a line that couldn't be undone, and I don't blame her.

I still feel very strongly that in order for any description of RTL to have taken place as a reunion between these two women, they needed to have a serious heart to heart. Had Diana called Mary up and said she has a suite at the X hotel for the two of them to have a very private conversation, Mary would've been at the suite's door before Diana could finish her statement. Once together, they could've hashed out any and everything that was bothering them: Diana's attention hogging, Mary's book, Diana's "shoving", Mary's inaccuracies, etc. This speaks to a larger issue in society from my POV anyway. So much bitterness and animosity and dismissiveness are allowed to fester because people keep things bottled up. They write books or they distance themselves instead of letting it out and freeing themselves. No doubt in my mind that if Diana and Mary had come together for a private cathartic conversation, RTL may have gone much better. There was no room for RTL to succeed when the two principal players distrusted one another so much, and a lot of that distrust stemmed from their emotional hurting of one another.

The mention of Tony Turner in your post Captain is rather random, but to your point, I think it's been well established in the forum that nothing Tall Tales Turner says can be believed.