[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Me too Ollie! I was told of the reaction from EMI UK upon receiving the finished albums of Fools and Silk Electric. To say they were disappointed is something of an understatement. A very good friend of mine who worked there told me of the crushing disappointment throughout the Company, but they insist they did their utmost to make the best of a bad situation. I would have made some different decisions had i been in charge but it is true to say you cannot polish a turd so we cannot be too harsh on them!
    I can well imagine. I’m curious as to what they did to make the best of a bad situation lol. “Why Do Fools” and “Mirror Mirror saved the day day I guess. The down side being that the record company then allowed her another shot at producing with even worse results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I can well imagine. I’m curious as to what they did to make the best of a bad situation lol. “Why Do Fools” and “Mirror Mirror saved the day day I guess. The down side being that the record company then allowed her another shot at producing with even worse results.
    i think SE came about because Why sold very very well. I doubt that the RCA execs were all that worried about "waxing a masterpiece" as opposed to simply selling records.

the heavy-duty fan reaction to Why is probably stronger than the execs. it was released in the fall, in plenty of time for the holiday sales blitz. the single was released around the same time and flew up the charts.

based on this success, i think they were ok with moving ahead with SE. although the final result is definitely weaker. but at that point they needed the release