i think having a unique and identifiable group sound is hugely instrumental in success. the girls did it masterfully with the early HDH stuff. it was catchy, unique and just wonderful.
plus HDH expertly evolved it. even within the first 5 songs, you can hear the progression already starting.

DRATS really didn't have a sound and the resulting lackluster chart performance corroborates that.

JMC tapped into a new sound and it worked for a year or so. but they didn't evolve it. and MJL never really had an opportunity to establish one, or at least a successful one

with SMC the Ivey Woodford tunes were just perfect for them. this was some of the most accomplished 3-part vocals of any grouping of the supremes. PLUS it was just MSC. no additional backgrounds were being used. it isn't often that one of the 1st producers could so immediately tap into something so right but they did. huge missed opportunity there. Scherrie is just delightful on every track, Mary has opportunities to shine and the overall group comes across as fresh and pure pop. ideal way to reintroduce the group to the public

Walking was a great NEW sound with Scherrie. now the sweet and bubble girl group sound from the Ivey Woodford stuff is evolving into "you go girl" sound. again the group shines on Walking with the high-flying vocals. But scherrie is in command. everything about the song works

HE the album was a decent album that provided a solid foundation for Walking.

MS&S takes the great "go get'em" style and dance power of Walking and amps it up. LYG and Love I Never Knew carried on with the powerful vocals and dynamic lead. Don't Wanna Be Tied Down further drives the girl power concept. and Sweet Dream and Come inot my life take the lush and slightly avant guarde High Energy track to a whole new realm.

shame that these all didn't perform as they should have